As a Program director we are looking for ideas for summer camp activities. Have any of you been to a camp that has Tomahawk throwing. Is there a risk of scouts throwing their personal or troop hatchets?

Also what is your opinion on the trail or moutain biking programs?

Hatchet throwing: I did it at the '85 National Jamboree and I thought it was very cool. The only hatchet that should be allowed to be thrown is won specifically designed to be thrown. You can throw cutting hatchets but it doesn't work very good and the kids would probably find it frusrating. One designed for wood cutting and one designed for throwing are two completely different animals. Just get a few for camp use. The last thing you want to do is make kids think you can throw any hatchet.

Bikes on trails: My guys love it. Bikes destroy trails so be sure that your program STRONGLY stresses low impact trail riding and to ride on apprpriate trails. Also the faster they ride the more severe the injury. I would look real hard at insurance on that one.

Both would be good additions, you just need to do a lot of research.

I have seen this type of activity done at Camporees, with adult supervision. I do not recommend this for a Summer Camp setting as the norm is to have youth running events. I can see some youngster with a four inch tomahawk sticking out of his torso because some other youngster did not respect the rules or person in charge of the activity. Most of our archery and rifle ranges are manned full time by adults, but even these areas sometimes have difficulty with controlling the group.

• 2 weeks later...

First off, only tomahawks should be thrown.

They are meant for this (balance, forged steal, easily replaced handles).

Our Council camp had hawk throwing for several years and the Scouts and families enjoyed it a lot.

As for controlling the group, there was 1 target meaning 1 thrower at a time. The only time hawk throwing was open was after dinner on parents night. The target was in a secure area next to the archery range and manned by the archery staff. The archery range was not open at the same time.

Scouts as well as family members could throw at the target. Either a string or a playing card was tacked to the log. If you hit the card or cut the string you got to keep it. Talk about a recruiting tool for younger brothers! They couldnt wait till they could come to camp.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, tomahowk throwing would be a big hit. It can be safely conducted if supervised. Emphasize pack-owned or

troop-owned tomahawks designed for throwing versus axes, hatchets and whatever the boys may bring.

Try and situate it where the targets will be in front of a natural barrier like a high embankment.