21 merit badges for Eagle?

ok, I have a scout that will be making Life. I see the requirement for Eagle is "21 merit badges (10 more than you already have)". is that 21 badges total or 10 more badges that he already has after making Life?

I know there are eagle require badges, but I'm hung up on the "10 more than you already have" piece.

thanks all!

Mike B

Minimum of 21 total, including the Eagle-required ones.

The books specify "ten more than you already have" because the boys are required to have a specific minimum number (including a certain minimum number of Eagle-required) of badges in order to earn Star, and again at Life. So the "ten more..." is based on those prior minimums. It does *not* mean that a Life scout with, say, 50 badges including all his Eagle-required badges, would then need to have a total of 60 to earn Eagle.

Hope this helps

Yah, that "ten more than you already have" bit is another poor wording job, eh?

Even if the lad previously had the minimums for Star and Life, he might still need more than 10 badges to make Eagle (if he used Swimming and Hiking as separate required badges for Star and Life, for example).

Just focus on the 21, Exibar, and the required ones within that. Ignore the "ten more" parenthetical. That's the right way to interpret how it's really handled.

Beavah

Excellent, thank you for all the replies.

Here's another Eagle related question. If the boy chooses "lifesaving" for his rank, and he has also earned Emergency Preparedness, can he use EP as one of the elective badges? My first thought is no, as the requirement says one or the other, but I figured I'd pass it by you guys as well.

thanks!

Mike B

Yes, the alternate can be used as an elective. I don't have ready access to the book at the moment but I am 99% certain that all of this is spelled out in the boy scout handbook where it talks about merit badges. Do you have a copy of the book? If not, it would probably be a good investment.

Yah, if a lad earns both Lifesaving and Emergency Preparedness then:

1) He can use both as "required" merit badges for Star and/or Life rank.

2) He can use one as the "required" MB for Eagle rank, and the other as an elective.

The book yeh want is the "Boy Scout Requirements" book, which is available from your scout shop. Its content is also online at National's site.

Regarding Lifesaving and Emergency Preparedness...

From the Eagle Application, requirement 3:

*6 EMERGENCY PREPAREDNESS OR LIFESAVING

*Cross out badges not earned. If a crossed-out badge was earned, it may be reentered in 13 through 21.

Same thing goes for "*9 CYCLING OR HIKING OR SWIMMING", where one is required for Eagle, and the other two can be used as electives (if earned).

I agree, this forum is great and filled with great folks! As a new Scoutmaster coming up from being CubMaster, I know I have a lot of questions and it's great to be able ask them here and find out how other troops operate so I can help my troop be the best we can make it :-)

thanks all!

Mike b

I love this forum too. I think I can honestly say I either learn something new or else that I re-evaluate something I think I "know" about the program on a weekly basis, as a result of the many thoughtful people here. Thanks, all!