Old books - new requirements

We received a directive from district that if a Scout had started work toward a rank before January 1, 2010, using requirements that were current before January 1, 2010, he could complete that rank only using the old requirements. Any progress toward a rank that was begun after January 1, 2010, must use the new requirements.

I found nice copies of the requirements at this website http://www.bsahandbook.org/ and was able to copy them so they can be glued into their older books. I realized it did not effect that many boys - the biggest bunch was life scout.

Carole

• 2 weeks later...

so what's the general consensus on this? At first I was asking my scouts to get new books, but I'm kinda liking the label idea for the new requirements.

I was thinking about "highly recommending" that they get the new book, but in the mean time I'll either put a label with the one or two new requirements in their book, or a larger label replacing the entire requirements page with a photocopy of the page from the new book.

Hardship was brought up about buying a new book by one of my ASMs, I told them that the troop will buy the new book for anyone claiming they can't afford the new one. But the same ASM brought up that it would be a pain for the scouts to transfer everything over to the new book or it would be a pain to hold onto 2 books. The second argument doesn't hold any water for me at all, as life isn't always easy, and big deal so the scout that is going up for Eagle has to produce two books at that time... the rest of the scouts simply work out of the new books until Eagle.