Eagle board questions .

According to the 2008 Advancement Guidebook this is the function of the SM during an EBOR:

The candidates unit leader introduces him to the members of the board of review.

The unit leader may remain in the room, but does not participate in the board of review.

The unit leader may be called on to clarify a point in question.

After the review, the candidate and his unit leader leave the room while the board members discuss the acceptability of the Eagle candidate."

I like to stay for the EBOR, but only with permission of the candidate. I learn something new every time. It helps me prepare the next Eagle candidate prepare for his EBOR.

According to the Advancement Committee Policies and Procedures:

"The candidate's unit leader introduces him to the members of the board of review. The unit leader may remain in the room, but does not participate in the board of review. The unit leader may be called on to clarify a point in question. In no case should a relative or guardian of the candidate attend the review, even as a unit leader." ....."After the review, the candidate and his unit leader leave the room while the board members discuss the acceptability of the candidate as an Eagle Scout."

That clearly outlines the responsibilities of the Scoutmaster at the EBOR. The Scoutmaster is not there to comment on the candidate's qualifications. There must be a problem if the Eagle candidate doesn't feel comfortable with his Scoutmaster. The EBOR is not really a forum where others come to advocate for the candidate, his letters of reference should fulfill that function. It is the place for the Eagle candidate to advocate for himself, to demonstrate his worthiness and readiness for the rank of Eagle Scout.

There can be no more than 6 members on a EBOR.

The Advancement Guide does not allow for a liaison for the candidate. The candidate goes before the board by himself. By definition a liaison assists in communications, neither the SM or anyone else can assist the candidate. The only case where I could see where the candidate would have assistance at an EBOR would be a special needs Scout and that would probably have to be approved by Council.

Are you preparing to go before an EBOR?

Yah, generally da SM introduces a lad to the EBOR and then hangs around, eh? That can be particularly reassuring when it's a district-level EBOR where the scout typically won't know anybody on the Board. Also helps a bit if yeh get a Board that goes off its rocker and the SM has to gently or firmly step in to get 'em back on track.

Lots of times an EBOR will ask one or two questions of the SM at the end. Sometimes it's helpful to know how a troop does something, eh? Particularly when reviewin' the boy's project.

Beavah

The candidates unit leader introduces him to the members of the board of review.

The unit leader may remain in the room, but does not participate in the board of review.

The unit leader may be called on to clarify a point in question.

After the review, the candidate and his unit leader leave the room while the board members discuss the acceptability of the Eagle candidate."

This is pretty much how it happened . The scoutmaster stayed in the room while the scout went outside . I am just trying to get a better feel on how it all works .

"The scoutmaster stayed in the room while the scout went outside"

The Scout and his SM should leave the room together after the EBOR. The SM does not stay behind to take part in the discussion after the candidate leaves. Other than the introduction the SM does not speak at the EBOR unless asked to clarify something by the Board.

As a SM I've been through a few of these and I've never been asked anything.

In our council,

1) The Eagle Coordinator introduces the candidate to the Board.

2) The SM sits quietly and listens.

3) The candidate is then asked the leave and the SM stays, available for further clarification during the panel's deliberations.

4) The candidate returns for their decision and the Eagle and SM leave together.

During the deliberation for the two EBOR's I attended as SM, I only answered specific questions the Board asked me. I did not feel it was necessary to state my feelings/opinions on this candidate unless specifically asked by the Board.

Stosh

I do the samething. The first couple Eagle BOR's I sat in on with the scouts. After that I thought that this was the first of many interview type meetings these boys may go through. No time like now to begin going solo. I sit and discuss things that maybe asked and give them tips on how to explain and what certain body language type things can do too. After presenting them to the board I will go out and wait for them to complete. Most of the scouts I have done this with thank me even more for helping and trusting them to preform well. Like it or not sooner or later you need to let them do it all.

The Scoutmaster is in a "don't speak unless asked a direct question by either the Eagle candidate or the board members" position. So, exactly how the SM would "get the board back on track" is beyond me, unless the implication is that one would talk to the members after the review is concluded.

The Scoutmaster has already given and commented on the Scout's qualifications by signing his Eagle application and approving his Scout Spirit. To attempt to do so again at the EBOR would be redundant.

That said, the Scoutmaster, not a person of the Scout's choosing, is expected to be present during an EBOR. The Scoutmaster may appoint a proxy (i.e. one of their SAs) to take their place if desired - for example if the son of the Scoutmaster is being interviewed.(This message has been edited by acco40)