new Rank Badges for 2010

I had seen this a while ago but didn't want to believe that it was true. Got confirmation on another list that there are indeed new rank badges for 2010 and they are hitting the stores now.

Check out http://bit.ly/7FvGT8 for the PDF file (Boy Scouts on page 1, Cubs on page 2).

If you like them, click the thumbs up icon on this post, if not, thumbs down.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Special rank patches for the 100th anniversary? Maybe only given out for ranks earned this year? If you read the fine print at the bottom of the page it says Lion Brothers. They are a large company in MD that does much of BSA's patch design including MBs, and the Jamboree patches.

2 comments.

A) Once again the second oldest program in the BSA, Sea Scouts founded in 1912, are left out in the cold.

B) I think it's kinda of overboard.

PS

Also I noticed this: why is there not scout patch and the oval Webelos badge liste dwith eh Boy Scout ones?

Also is it me or does the CS pocket look wrong with a flat bottom?(This message has been edited by eagle92)

No indication whether or not these are official or not. If they are, then they will be the only ones you can use I would think. If optional, then I would think you would ask the scout themselves. As a memorabilia collector, I will likely want to have a set just because.

Plastering the year on the badges doesn't really help if the goal is to promote the 100th anniversary. 2010, by itself, doesn't mean a thing...

The PDF also says "creative concepts." So this may have been something proposed that never got off the ground.

They're kind of goofy looking, if you ask me. Very cartoonish.

The idea of "special" patches for the "special" year is appropriate, but I agree, the pdf pictures are TOO blatant. I would favor the "usual" designs with a special color border (?gold?), and much smaller (if any) lettering.

Is it too late to ask for NO plastic on the back? Makes it harder to sew on. And BadgeMagic sticks better to pure cloth rather than plastic.(This message has been edited by SSScout)

The "lovely" gems are official and will the only thing on the shelves of all national scout stores for the rest of the 2010 year. We are not supposed to sell the regular ones until 1/1/11 once they hit our stores.

I'm not a fan of them either. It punishes the boys that worked hard and a achieved a cub rank before the B&G. All my Webelos I and most of our Bears have earned their ranks they received them in the late fall. They'll have a different patch than all the rest of the kids that lolly gagged along and earned them later. Depeding on how fast they move along next year they might not get a 2010 one then either. Not to mention the collection of cub badges will be mismatched. As it is there isn't a place for a Webelos scout to put his Webelos badge on his blue shirt if he was a Tiger too.

I don't think it's as big a deal with the BS set as they only wear 1 badge at a time. I do suppose it'd be neat to wear a 2010 AoL patch of 2010 Eagle patch, you'd never forget when you got the highest rank in your program.

From a store standpoint it's a pain in the butt. We now have to bag up and count and store all the regular badges for a year. Our store had just received and put out it's spring stock of cub awards (100's of each level) in preparation for the B&G season. Now I have to hope I get enough to meet the iminant demand. And listen to customers complain about the lunacy of the decision.

I just wish we in the stores would get told about new products in a timely manner. Most of the time we find out from a site such as this or when we are forced to order an item because it's "new".

Based on the link provided, I'm not a fan of these. If it's all we're allowed to buy, then it is what it is, but it would have been nice if they had been available at the beginning of the year. (Yes, we've just presented reank badges that were earned in January...)

Let's count:

1. Above the left pocket

2. Ring around the World Brotherhood of Scouting patch

3. On the rank badge

Why do we need to spell "Boy Scouts of America" 3 times on the front of the shirt?

As a designer who appreciates selling the "Brand", I don't appreciate this.