4 Historical MBs Brought Out of Retirement for 2010

Signaling, Tracking, Pathfinding, Carpentry

http://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2010/01/historical-merit-badges-help-boy-scouts-celebrate-scoutings-past.html

"A merit badge called Computers would sound just a crazy to a 1910 Boy Scout as a merit badge called Tracking sounds to Scouts today. Thats because the BSAs list of available merit badges has evolved through the years as the interests of boys have changed.

In honor of the BSAs 100th Anniversary, though, todays generation of Scouts will get the unique opportunity to experience some of the activities their predecessors enjoyed. Thats possible thanks to the BSAs new Historical Merit Badge Program, a set of four discontinued merit badges that todays Scouts can earn.

Sounds like a blast, right? But theres one catch: Boys must start and finish all requirements within the year 2010. So if your guys built furniture for their patrol kitchen at last years summer camp, they cant use that product for the Carpentry merit badge. And dont delayafter Dec. 31, 2010, these merit badges will go back on the retired list.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds cool!

Pathfinding: Still sounds appropriate for any scouts hiking in the woods.

Carpentry: Seems like we are doing woodworking projects all the time. In todays economy, fixing your own stuff just makes economic sense.

Signaling: I don't know about anybody else, but seems like my old trusty cell phone always loses signal about a half mile form camps, mountain trails or anywhere a cool adventure takes place. I see the appropriateness in this too.

Tracking: well, you could halp find a lost hiker or work towards getting a job as a crime scene investigator I suppose.

Honestly, these all sem to be MB that have practical and modern day uses for them.

Matter of fact, let a sun flare or a power glitch occure, those MB would be down right practical.

Any ideas if the military currently uses those same skills in Iraq, Pakistan, or Afghanistan?

My only question is, "Why mothball them again after 2010?".

If they can have a video game belt loop for the cubs, then tracking / pathfinding, whatever PC updated verb you need to use to not offend... is certainly a useful tool. It can be used to track game, look for clues (i.e. crime solving adventure / learn about forensics), or to send signals across a valley.

The Navy still uses (or at least keeps people proficient) in several types of signaling. Tracking is useful in helping find lost hikers or a lost child - its more about noticing changes to the natural environment that tells you something or somebody was there and which way they were heading, than it is about "stalking".

Pathfinding probably lost favor with the hyper-vigilance of leave no trace. No need for pathfinding skills if you're never allowed to walk "off trail" in a natural area. But if you're lost or have an emergency and need to "bust brush" to get to a road or other man-made feature for rescue, then its a very good skill to have.

As for carpentry - I'm not sure WHY this was ever done away with? Making something useful with your own hands has got to be one of the most satisfying things a human can do. Was this wrapped into woodworking at some point and that is why it is "retired" now?

I agree completely! Why not keep them currently active? I see no reason to mothball them either!

DEan, as far as pathfinding, wouldn'tthat actually compliment Leave no trace?

Buy finding and utiloizing an existing natural path , there is less disturbed natural environ ment.

Sure, this couild spark a debate about upsetting natural wildlife if the human scent causes the natural path to be abandoned, but other than that, using an existing path means another one wouldn't be created or made.

Remember, these are cool to us, but we are not the target demographic. How the youth respond will determine a lot of things. A few years back the NFL introduced the idea of the "throwback" jerseys and they were a hit, you see them everywhere now. Having "Throwback merit badges" is hooking onto this idea. How long they last will be determined by how many boys earn them. Will your summercamp offer them?

Maybe the idea is to retire these and then have 4 more for 2011, do we have anyone who can find out?

You have a great point there OGE: Look at MacDonalds. They bring out the McRibb sandwhich for a limited time. People flock like crazy and pay twice what it's worth. Then it's taken off the menu. They probably sell 4 miliion in 5 months time, yet had it just stayed on the menu, they probably only would have sold 2 million for the entire year.

But they could bring out the "new" 2010 badges, and keep them still available while in 2011, bring out the 4 "new" retro badges. Then in 2011 have the first 8 still available, while bring out the "new" 2012 badges.

In 2020, retire them again.