What happens if I sign this form?

Just as there is the spirit of the law and the letter of the law, I believe there is the spirit of a requirement and the letter of the requirement. I would classify box checkers as only believing in following the letter of the law. It is up to the individual to determine if that is good or bad.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

B,

You're the one here who has connections into the National office.

Whether we like it or not, those words are now in the literature. Why were they put there? Has National been sued over Eagle denied?

As for me...

Our first charge is to raise up young people. That means if a kid wants work, the SM should find him work. For advancement to Star and Life the program has for 40+ years given the Scoutmaster an option to assign a project

Mentorship of a Scout in a position begins the instand the boy expresses interest. In a 4 quadrant leadership model, most Scouts will fall in either Quadrant I (high directive, low supporting ... a true learning phase) or Quadrant II (high directive, high supporting, he's starting to get it ) during their tenure in a job. To me, a Scout needs to understand his job is going to last six months or a year.

A Scout needs supervision. Period. That supervision is going to come from peer leaders, from the Scoutmaster/ASMs, and perhaps from the COmmittee folk overseeing the area the Scout works in. That's not only OK, it's essential.

The vast majority of Scouts are not 4 months and done to Star, 6 months and done to Life. It's out job during their tenures to watch, to coach, to encourage, to counsel, sometimes to criticize constructively. I think 95% of all youth will do a "good enough" job in their tenure. That means anything from excellent down to acceptable. We really are talking about the kids on the margin, the ones who try to get by.

I said this in 07, I say it again now... removing a kid is a last resort. There is a slew of motivational tools to the SM before removing a kid. That said, National has put the tool in the tool chest, and if you're at last resort... either because of downdraft from the helicopter, or because the kid will not cut it (or is aggresively seeking to fail), then don't be afraid to use the tool either.

Owl,

You said it yourself...he breaches the Scout Law.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Scout Oath (or Promise)

On my honor I will do my best

To do my duty to God and my country

and to obey the Scout Law;

To help other people at all times;

To keep myself physically strong,

mentally awake, and morally straight.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Since he doesn't follow the Scout Law, how can you sign him off with the SMC? He is swearing on HIS HONOR to obey the Scout Law, not just some of it, but the entire Scout Law.

Not obeying the Scout Law? You have spoken to him about it, right? He knows that you know that he knows that he is not following the Scout Law, yet every time he holds the Scout Sign up and says the words of the Scout Oath, it is the same thing as saying in a court of law that promises to tell the truth. If he doesn't tell the truth in court, what happens to him? Does he get off scott-free, or is he in trouble?

The same with the Scout Oath. He says that he will obey it, but he doesn't, so how can you sign him off on ANY rank advancement if he is not doing what he promises to do in the Oath?

Pete