Evmori and others, I'm with you, I'd like to know more about this research.

Even if they found a correlation between advancement to First Class in a year and retention, did they validate which was the cause and which was the effect?

Pushing the FCFY program would indicate that they assume that boys tend to stay in the program because they earn First Class in a year. However, couldn't it also have been that the boys more likely to stay in the program (better Scouting skills, more support at home, more enthusiasm for the program, more active troops, etc.) were more likely to earn First Class in a year as a result?

If it's the latter and not the former, rushing to slap a First Class badge on everyone as soon as possible doesn't seem like it would be of much benefit and would lead to the issues Beavah describes. I'd be interested in further information as to whether the FCFY emphasis has actually resulted in improved retention as predicted.

We're happy if the new Scouts get to Tenderfoot in the first year, and then do about a rank a year from then on. Like others have said, we provide the opportunities for advancement, they decide how far and how fast they want to go. Our Advancement Chair works backwards to ensure no one ends up aging out and unable to get Eagle. Other than that, we do not push the guys. They love camping and they have fun. Priorities fulfilled in our view. But then again, as already well established on this forum, we are heretics of Scouting.

Yah, SunnyD has da right of it. Leastways that was my memory when we were rollin' out First Class Emphasis back in 1990. There was data that da highest attrition in Boy Scouting was in the first year, and there was data that boys who made it to First Class (at any time) were highly likely to stay in the program.

So the conclusion was that to address the first year attrition, we'd push gettin' the lads to First Class. Justifications/hypotheses like what NealonWheels reports were very common - it will get them to bigger adventure, get 'em past the basics, etc. etc. That converged with LDS's need for a separate 11-year-old program (New Scout Patrol), and da worry from a few quarters about older boys and hazing (droppin' scouts from BORs).

Those largely untested program changes based on scant data seemed to some like only minor/moderate "tweaks" of GreenBar Bill's stuff, but they've really turned out to be a huge change in da program, especially in da way the adults think about the program.

Used to be you could play the game and have adventure while learnin' the skills. Like a game of pick-up baseball in da neighborhood, eh? Now yeh have to have the prerequisite classes well-organized for a year before yeh can start hangin' with the cool older lads. Hasn't helped our first year attrition one lick as far as I can tell.

Beavah

(This message has been edited by Beavah)

A Game with a Purpose (as I am regularly reminded here).

The PLC and Troop Leadership of our Troop puts all of the opportunities out there for an involved Scout to easily learn and demonstrate the skills necessary to earn First Class in the First Year.

During the first meeting the Scout attends, his Patrol Leader usually gets him to do his initial physical fitness test. We have two nurses and one physician who regularly counsel First Aid Merit Badge, plus we have an adult who teaches CPR courses. First Aid MB is always available, and a few times a year the boys show up to the Troop meeting to find a group of people in need of "aid." They go from station to station demonstrating that they know how to deal with each person's issues and symptoms.

We have regular iron chef competitions on campouts, and Patrol Leaders check their members books before every campout to make sure that their Scouts have the opportunity to serve as Grubmaster and Chef.

We have a 5 mile hike on almost every campout, and the SPL keeps copies of topo maps with him for the map and compass portion. We have two Eagles that will set up a full compass course at the drop of a hat.

Poles and ropes are standard equipment for our car camping runs, so that camp gadgets can be built.

One of my Scouts is running a Swim Day for members of his Patrol to finish the swimming portions of the Trail to First Class.

ALL of this combines into multiple opportunities for Scouts to learn and later demonstrate that they have mastered the skills necessary to earn the rank of First Class.

With the buy in of the PLC, and the provision of opportunities, Scouts can earn their way if they so choose.

The last step is during my SMCs. At each rank, I talk to the Scout about what is now expected of him as he earns the next rank. Any Scout who is First Class is expected to know what to do - and is treated that way. Young boys are capable of much more than we give them credit.

This is an interesting thread to see what others do. We have the new scouts hit the high adventure right out of the blocks unless there is an age limit or safety issue. When the troop canoes they come too. We just put them in a canoe with a scout that has the canoeing MB or an adult. If we go snow skiing or climbing or white water they go also. Now they may climb a smaller easier spot but they camp & climb with the troop. When we backpack they may do 4 miles in while the older guys do another trail for 8 miles in but we camp at the same spot.

Some older patrols cook up their own "high adventure" when they hot 15 years or so but for the most part we camp together & high adventure together.

We also usually make some time during a campout where scouts can come and ask to be tested on skills. Only CC/SM/ASMs can sign off in our troop and sometimes a guy is told he needs a little more work. But that is a teachable moment & motivates if you handle it right and they come back better prepared.

For us anyway advancement is not a "priority" but the opportunity is there if a guy wants to take it. If he would rather hang around the patrol campfire instead of working on his first aid skills or whatever that's okay too. We might prod a bit to see what's up if he is not advancing at all.

Not saying this is a best way, its just the way we roll. We camp a bunch and almost always leave Friday & return Sunday afternoon so there is time to advance even if its a canoe trip or something with a relatively full schedule.

(This message has been edited by knot head)