I am taking over a troop that at one time was as large as 40-45 boys. It is now 8-10 boys ranging in age from 6-8th graders. I want to find a way to set them apart and give them some extra pride in their uniform. In my old troop several yrs ago, we wore the red berets...a real source of pride for the troop. I would like to find an old adult beret for an adult leader or two. Also, any ideas where I can find red berets that could be used for the boys?

My best suggestion would be to check military surplus stores. You can get a lot of new and used stuff at some of them. The Scout catalog used to carry an official red scout beret with the scout logo, but I do not know if it is still offered.

As a brief aside; When I attended the National Jamboree in '85, I meet Some scouts that adopted Urban camoflage pants (black, grey and white) as part of thier troop's uniform. Boy did they look sharp. Don't think I want to look that military though. Anyway, at the time I was told that troops may adopt "Accessories" to add to their uniforms. Something to think about.

We use our prime activity as a means to set us apart from the other Troops in the area. We do a lot of rock climbing and repelling. Thus, we use a inexpensive "D" ring for certifying that a Scout has passed the basics. Then, special pieces of cord (various colors and sized), tied in climbing knots are used to designate each climb a Scout has attended. (Each climb is at a different height). Also, different colored tape is wrapped aroung the shank of the "D" ring to indicate having mastered a certain climbing requirement, like tying a Swiss seat. All in all, they are very not-worthy when worn attached to the right side belt loop of the Scout pants or shorts.

The same type of emphasis can be applied to other activities like backpacking - a tie down cord tied in a knot with different cords or knots for different trips.

For years Troops have used different scarves that denote a Troop color, insignia on the back, or a Troop patch attached (that can be ordered from the Scout catalog.

Sorry I can not help on the Berets.

• 3 weeks later...