Counseling merit badges in multiple councils

You need to apply to each Council.

This is one of my problems with Merit Badge Programs, such as the Strategic Air Museum (don't do it), or the USS Intrepid, or .... the folks are (hopefully) Counselors in their home Councils, but too many Scoutmasters surrender their authority as the quality guardian to these places. The result is merit badge factories, churning out hundreds of issues of a single MB every weekend.

There are quality programs. The SM has to learn which are good and which are junk.

Not to hijack the thread...I think the question has been answered. But here's an idea ... if you have a "merit badge" factory in your council, such as those John mentioned, I think it would behoove the Council in which the factory resides to audit their program and post a list of "Council approved" merit badge sources on their website, which would assure leaders that the program delivers what it should and that the MBC are properly trained (YP, etc) and registered.

Disclaimer: I have not been to any of those mentioned here, so I don't mean to impugn them. They may be good...maybe not.

Yes and No.

Yes, if the MB counselor wants to be formally listed as counselor in another council. This way both scouts and their Scoutmasters will readily see that counselor's availability. Some counselors may have a vacation residence or frequent travel in another council. That counselor would have to remember to re-register each year in those neighboring councils too.

But there is no need. A scout can go to ANY merit badge counselor who is registered with ANY Council and APPROVED by his SM. Common examples where this occurs is out-of-council summer camps, museums, merit badge colleges, and Jamboree.

My $0.02

NC Scouter,

As stated by John in KC the answer is YES. If you would like to be the counselor for boys in more than one Council you should register with the other Councils. This will make your contact information available to the SM's in the Council and make their job easier.

If you just wanted to work summer camp, and the Troop comes to your camp, then NO. But that didn't seem to be your question.

scoutldr,

Unfortunately, if the "merit badge factory" has approved MBC's then it is a "Council Approved" site. The Council approves all MBC's.

My $0.02

YiS,

Rick

Thanks for your replies. I am not the person wanting to register as a counselor. A woman at a stable near where we live wants to be able to counsel Horsemanship. The stable is within a few miles of four different councils and she may see scouts from any of the four. I think I'll suggest that she start with the council from which she would expect to see the most scouts, and then add others as she sees fit.

OK, I can work with that added info :)

I would recommend her registering in all four councils. The worst case is she's out $60 a year. If she talks to her accountant, she might be able to write that off. I'll let the CPAs debate that.

The advantage of registering is that she is on the Council lists of all 4. That gives her name visibility in each council. While I have no doubt she wants to work with kids, I also have no doubt she probably wants to grow her business. Exposure, exposure, exposure. Moms and Dads, as well as Scoutmasters, will see her.

I wish her well :)

Rick,

I was given a quiet cup of coffee by my District Director at last RT: Our Council is now charging MBCs registering Code 42 only for membership. Whether that's right or not is for the Council Professional Staff, Membership Committee and Exec Board.

If they take my training (I give it every month at RT), no fees. I am giving it at UOS in November. There, they will be part of a program and there is a fee on the day.

As I said, the worst case for our horsewoman is $15 registration fee per Council (registrations do not seem to migrate council-council). Lord willing, it's as you said, a freebie.(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)