Is this Eagle Canidate Worthy...Interrogation during EBOR?

A few comments I need to make.

#1. I don't think an Eagle candidate needs their hand held during the process. I do think they need to have a discussion on what to expect, preferably done by a peer who has been through the process.

#2. I think the Eagle candidate should be doing all the leg work on verifying his information, getting the signatures for his application and service project, etc.

#3 I also think that if any problems do occur with council records he should deal with it. However after my expereince with my old council, Iknwo how some folks treat youth and can understand when an adult needs to get involved.

#4 I do not see where having a complete uniform is adding to the requriements. It's part of Scout Spirit, and gives the Eagle candidate to proudly show what he has done to the EBOR. Again having a full uniform at an EBOR is the NORM in every district and council I've been in for the past 27 years.

#5 I see ALL BORs as a way to prepare youth for the realities of life, i.e. college and/or job interviews.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

#4 I do not see where having a complete uniform is adding to the requriements. It's part of Scout Spirit, and gives the Eagle candidate to proudly show what he has done to the EBOR. Again having a full uniform at an EBOR is the NORM in every district and council I've been in for the past 27 years.

Until a uniform is required to be a member, requiring a uniform for any BOR is adding to the requirements.

All this talk of uniforms not being required. Every one of the scouts in our troop OWNS a complete uniform. We have uniform inspections every month (even if informally) and we credit and recognize the patrols who are all in a complete uniform. Should we also begin recognizing those members and patrols who are too lazy to wear it to the meeting, because not doing so would be unfair?

We expect all our scouts to have a backpack on certain outings (like backpack trips). Any scout who shows up with eveything packed in luggage is told they cannot participate. How many times has this happend to our scouts? Never. They understand that in order to participate in a backpack trip, they must have a backpack. There is no BSA rule about this and we have no fear of parental interventions (or ACLU lawsuits for that matter) because we are excluding Johnny.

BORs are no different. It is not adding to any requirement. What if the scout starts using really foul language in describing his scouting experience. It that going to be tolerated because there is no rule stating that scouts can't use extreme explatives at a BOR, and expecting other behavior is adding to the requiremtents? Of course not. Any scout acting as such (even if he is not attempting to insult his review board) would be very carefully examined by the board.

If the scout has a good reason not to have a uniform (like his house burned down that morning), it should be taken into consideration, and is certainly understandable. Otherwise, this is not adding to the requirements, folks. If the scout is embarrassed to be in a scout uniform, I would question his scout spirit and his commitment to the scout oath and law. If he is just too lazy to get into it, then I would question his scout spirit and his commitment to the scout oath and law.

Uniforming is a method of scouting. Were he to overlook that at his BOR (if I were on the board) I might be willing to overlook advancement as a method as well. A board of review is no place to begin viewing the Eight Methods of Scouting as "multiple choice."

Yup uniforming is a method. I have never argued that. But requiring a Scout to wear a uniform to advance is adding to the requirement. If you turn a Scout down for advancement because he is not in uniform, it will get overturned on appeal! And if that is the only reason a Scout is turned down for advancement then I would say someone has lost sight of the purpose of Scouting.

There seems to be a lot of squishy talk about uniforms here. Owning a uniform has never been a requirement. That much is true. However, if the Scout DOES own a uniform, and it fits, then he should by all means wear it to EVERY board of review (including EBOR). It shows preparedness, Scout spirit, and respect for the process.(This message has been edited by sherminator505)

Part of our troop culture is spiffing up for a board of review. Show up most Tuesday nights and it's easy to see who has a BOR scheduled -- they are the ones with the pressed uniforms, merit badge sashes and medals. Of course an Eagle BOR is no different. It's not uncommon for an Eagle candidate to come to me asking for replacement insignia they may have misplaced over the years because they want their uniform A+ for their board. Are uniforms inspected at boards of review? No. This is just the expectation the troop and the Scouts have set for themselves.

It's never happened, but what would we do if a Eagle candidate showed up in blue jeans, a dirty shirt two sizes too small and still sporting his Star badge? He would likely be dismissed. NOT because of failing to meet any uniforming requirement, but for the lack of respect he showed the board members, the proceedings and himself.

Although we are relaxed a little on uniforms (we encourage the scouts to wear as much as they can afford or desire) we expect scouts who are going to be at an Eagle Board of review to wear as much of the uniform as they can. We don't greatly care if they wear scout socks, pants, belt but if they do it is favorable. We at least expect Class A shirt that is clean and does not look like it was balled up in a pile producing a huge wrinkled mess, tucked in with necker and slide, clean pants or jeans and decent shoes or dark colored hiking shoes or sneakers. Clean grooming, no goofy hats, ripped pants, flip flops etc. Merit badge sash is also kind of expected. We are not anal about patches but they should be on straight, not falling off or pinned on etc. To date we have had no problem with this as all the scouts understand this is scouting's highest rank and is a very reasonable expectation. I know if we ever do have a scout show up in less that presentable appearance the adults at teh BOR won't chastise him and not pass him, they will ask him to come back at a rescheduled meeting when he can dress the part of someone who has earned the respected rank of Eagle. I know our UC feels the same way. I don't think it is too much to ask for someone coming to their own Eagle BOR to wear at least a clean class A with Necker, slide and sash with good grooming, they obviously cared enough about BSA and it's principles to go to the time and effort to achieve the rank, they can at least recognize the honor and tradition by wearing at least some of the uniform regardless if the "rulebook" allows otherwise or not.

Those of you who promote, support and apply a rule that an EBOR candidate present himself in a full, complete and correct uniform, should lobby the BSA to add that to the requirements of becoming an Eagle scout. If it means that much to you, then the torch should not be passed to any candidate who does not meet those criteria.

Until you do, please quietly hold your disdain. We will continue to operate under the existing rules.

Gern,

No disrepect, but having come from a troop with a uniforming culture that was instilled by the youth, not the adults, a uniform was expected, and was seen as part of Scout Spirit. Grant you we did make allowances for those of use who couldn't afford everything BSA, heck I was the Scout who did all BORs save his Eagle, in green military pants ( took me 3 years to get the offical ones and they were hand me downs), but it was instilled in us by our PLs and SPL to "look your best" and "Don't embarras the patrol"

Also I remember as a scout being asked about the uniform, what it meant, etc, by the PL form one of the other patrols on my 2nd and !sdt class BORs

So while some may view the wearing of a uniform as adding requirements, for others, it is expected as a show of scout spirit.

Why would a Scout not want to wear his uniform to his Eagle Board of Review?

For crying out loud folks; over the time it took a Scout to earn all of his ranks prior to Eagle, and all of the skills he has learned, and all of the resources that he has been provided, certainly he would have been able to put together just ONE complete uniform.

Is it really that embarrassing ????!!!!! Where's the pride?