District Committee troubles

"So, what you are saying is...

If a person willfully and intentionally affects another person in a negative way, is not abuse ?"

Not necessarily, no.

There is abuse, and there is abuse of power. Two separate things. Contacting Child Protective Services, as you initially asked, would get you laughed out of town. On the other hand, if you believe the district advancement committee has abused its power, then have your COR take up the cause.

Other definitions that may pertain to this situation include incompetence, aggravation, frustration, ignorance or misinformation, by any or all of the parties involved. Those don't necessarily mean that abuse has occurred.

You're free to do whatever you like, of course - contacting CPS, contacting an attorney, whatever. Personally, I'd advise you to crack open a dictionary, take a few steps back, take more than a few deep breaths, and let it go.

I am stating that the DAC chair intentionally and willfully delayed an eagle project for over 10 months without any reason other than the ones he invented.

The DAC chair directed his committee to refer any requests, whether from the scout or from anyone else, to him. But, he intentionally did not return any communication attempts from the scout. He admits this behavior. The SE has acknowleged this was very wrong, and eluded that he did abuse the scout.

I am working with both district and council to fix problems that may arise in the future. This seems like we are moving in the right direction, and will likely prevent this from happening to other scouts.

This is by no means an isolated incident, but it is the only one that I can prove. Other troops within our district have similar horror stories.

Whether the DAC has issues with me or not, it does not change the fact that the DAC chair intentionally affected a scout in a negative way. This is abuse.

If left unchecked I have no doubt he would continue this behavior.

"I am stating that the DAC chair intentionally and willfully delayed an eagle project for over 10 months without any reason other than the ones he invented."

"Whether the DAC has issues with me or not, it does not change the fact that the DAC chair intentionally affected a scout in a negative way. This is abuse."

You don't get it. Scouts are affected in negative ways all the time when adult volunteers fall short of expectations. That's another valuable life lesson, eh? Your ONLY recourse here is to have your COR write a polite letter to the Scout Executive, copy to the Council Advancement Chair, Council Commissioner, your District Chair, laying out the FACTS (not inuendo or accusations of "abuse") and ask what the way forward is. If the Scout's Eagle Project (and thus, application for Eagle Rank) has been rejected, he has a right to know why and what he needs to do to correct it and move forward. I would request that in writing, so there are no misunderstandings. If the reasons are legitimate, and backed up by some written policy, then fix it and move on. If not, then the SCOUT needs to ask for a formal appeal...up to National, if need be.

Re-reading the thread, I'm still not clear what your "standing" is on this matter...are you the parent? If not, what is your registered position in the Unit?

At $100 an hour, that should lighten you wallet a bit.

Yah, da attorneys in your state must come pretty cheap there, J-in-KC ;).

If a person willfully and intentionally affects another person in a negative way, is not abuse ?

Yep, that's correct. What da specific definition is in your state I can't say without knowin' your state, but I can assure you that does not meet da legal definition of abuse in any state.

The fact the they are volunteers is irrelavent.

Nope, it's very relevant. In most states, child abuse can only be committed by a parent or legal guardian. It's because of that special relationship between parent and child that we set up special, confidential reporting and investigation offices under CPS rather than law enforcement. "Abuse" done by anybody else is da regular crime of sexual battery or somethin' similar, and there's no such thing as "mental battery."

So what yeh have in this case is a poor district volunteer, or you havin' a poor relationship with your district volunteers, or both. :p That's a shame, eh? It's a poor example to da kids, and poor service. Might not be in keepin' with da Scout Oath and Law on all the adults' part. But it's not a criminal offense in da Land of the Free, and neither CPS nor law enforcement are goin' to spend more time on it than it takes to chuckle and roll their eyes.

Yah, best to be honest and just deal with it on the basis of poor quality service. You'd like to see better service. So yeh do that through your COR, and helpin' recruit good volunteers for your district.

That's assumin' you're the SM. If you're the parent in this little dust-up, yeh let your son work through it, eh? With da help of his SM and CC/COR when and if they feel it's appropriate.

Beavah