How many Eagle MB should be done by parent?

Hello

Just an update, I bought up the subject of MB counselors and how other Troops handle the MB process at our RT this week. I learned that most Troops had the same frustration with our council not having an updated MB Counselor list and that most Troops use in Troop MB counselors. I offered to help compile a list from the other Troops to bring Councils list up to date, and asked other Troops to offer MB's to other local Troops which most seemed to be ok with. I think one problem is that most Troops think that the council list is a joke (which it is by being at least 5-8 years out of date) that they only offer MB to their own Troop but are willing to do so if asked from another Troop. I offered to do MB counselor training to any Troop or person and one Troop took me up on the offer so far. I have someone at council who offered to help me and I have the presentation that was sent to me by Brent that should allow me to properly train everyone. I am glad that this came up early in my Scoutmaster tenure so that I can correct what our Troop used to do and go forward with a much better understanding of the program.

Thanks for all your help.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keeping the merit badge list up to date is a function of the Disitrct/Council Advancement Committee. If you are doing the list, you are on the committee (I would think) unless you don't want to be. I would ask them (the current memebers) why is the list so old, nothing though should stand between getting an up to date list together and also a process to keep it current as possible

OGE

I do not want to be on the advancement committe but I just want to help get the list straightened out and up to date. Council will welcome the help and maybe a nudge or someone to get the process started will help jumpstart someone in Council to get it completed.

Thanks

How many Eagle merit badges should be done by parent?

Is the parent under 18? If not, none may be done by the parent.

How many Eagle merit badges should a Scout be counseled on by one of his parents? As many as are assigned by the Scoutmaster.