how to get help for MB? Bayarea, CA

Hi,

My son is in 1st place rank and he only have 7 MB. We would like to inspire him to continue scouting with better MB outcome.

The SM is quite busy in our troop and I was wondering if there are other MBC we can contact with to get more advice?

We live in the bayarea in CA

Again, welcome to the Forums.

Here is the website for the San Francisco Bay Area Council,

Here is the page for local areas of the Council, called Districts:

http://www.sfbac.org/districts

I've gone and looked, sadly I cannot find a list of Counselors on the council website.

I would suggest contacting your sons' Scoutmaster in person, and sharing your concerns. Alternately, I'd suggest contacting your Committee Chair at a Troop Commitee meeting.

Perhaps most importantly (and one way to start working from the inside, for the benefit of all the youth in your Troop), perhaps you have a skill you can share. If so, you can become a Merit Badge Counselor of the Boy Scouts of America. Then, you can get access to information from the inside.

Have I answered your question? Did I read your question correctly in writing this?

You didn't indicate which Council your son was in. In Pacific Skyline Council, the appropriate procedure is to have your Scoutmaster (SM) request the names of the merit badge counselors from the Council office for the badge your son is interested in. Each District maintains its own list. That list is not to be distributed to anyone except the SM, and is not available to the public.

Am a little confused as to what the issue is.

"My son is in 1st place rank and he only have 7 MB."

What do you mean by '1st place rank'? Tenderfoot, which is the first rank, or First Class Scout? Merit badges are only required once the scout has completed First Class and is working toward Star, Life, Eagle. Frankly, a First Class Scout who has 7 MB is doing pretty good, as Star requires 6.

"We would like to inspire him to continue scouting with better MB outcome."

Well, I assume he is continuing scouting. What is your criteria for 'better MB outcome'. Each boy is different in terms of what he wants and how he progresses.

"The SM is quite busy in our troop and I was wondering if there are other MBC we can contact with to get more advice?"

OK, not sure what you are looking for.

The SM is the adult leader in charge of the whole troop. He (or she) is probably not focusing on each boy. But there are also the youth leaders: patrol leaders and senior patrol leaders that should also be looking at this.

Also, the SM is not the person to be pushing the boys on MBs. If a boy DOES want to work on a merit badge, he sees is SM, gets a blue card and the name of one or more MBC to get with.

Slightly off topic, but whatever...

"Bay Area" in northern California could imply up to 7 councils (or more depending on how broad you define "Bay Area":

SF Bay Area Council

Alameda Council (small)

Piedmont Council (smaller!)

Santa Clara County Council

Marin Council

Pacific Skyline Council

Mt. Diablo-Silverado Council

From where I live, I could drive through all of them in about 2 hours (depending on traffic, of course).

It is nice having so many since if my local scout shop is out of something, I've got several other choices. Same goes for training dates and the like, too.

Hmmm...that will add to my driving time since I figured a quick trip over the GG bridge would be able to count for Marin. Now, I'll have to go a try some wine, have lunch and get a designated driver...might take the whole day!