Rank Requirement Sign-off - Who Does It In Your Troop?

I'm my son's troop advancement coordinator, so I've read all the policies (old Boy Scout Handbook, new Boy Scout Handbook, Scoutmaster Handbook, and the Advancement Committee Guide) trying to determine who is supposed to sign off on rank requirements through First Class, but none provide much guidance on this. The sign-off areas themselves use the word "Leader", but this could be a youth leader or an adult leader.

When my son first joined his troop their rule was that only Scouts with Star rank or higher could sign off on rank requirements. Recently the Scoutmaster has limited the sign-off to himself and the assistant Scoutmasters (some of which may not know the skills as well as some of the older Scouts).

Who signs off on rank requirements through First Class in your troop? Who do you think SHOULD initial & date the requirements at the end of the Handbook?

In my old troop growing up, Any scout First Class of above could sign of for T-2-1 requirement. A few exceptions would be those Scouts Tenderfoot or Second Class who were working on MBs that required you to teach certain T-2-1 skills, like First Aid.

Grant you this was in the "Dark Ages," when youth still sat on BORs :) .(This message has been edited by eagle92)

If you have read the Advancement Committee Policies and Procedures, then you know how BSA states is should be done.

"The Boy Scout is tested. A Scout may be tested on rank requirements by his patrol leader, Scoutmaster, assistant Scoutmaster, a troop committee member, or a member of his troop. The Scoutmaster maintains a list of those qualified to give tests and to pass candidates."

This seems to me to be pretty clear. No distinction is made between testing a Scout on a requirement for Tenderfoot, or Eagle. Both are handled the same way.

Your SM is well within his rights to limit who is allowed to sign off on requirements.

If your question is because you do not agree with his choice, that is best taken up with your SM at the next Troop Committee meeting.

"...patrol leader, Scoutmaster, assistant Scoutmaster, a troop committee member, or a member of his troop"

Doesn't that pretty much say ANY registered member of the troop may sign off on the completion of the rank requirements ... so long as they are on the Scoutmaster's list of QUALIFIED individuals?

Thus my question: Who is on the Scoutmaster's list in your troop? How does your Scoutmaster determine who is qualifed and thus able to sign off on rank requirements?

Oh, and I'm playing no games here. I don't disagree with the old way or the new way ... so long as the requirements are not being added or subtracted.

I'm just asking what other troops are doing.

Yah, troops in our area are all over da board on this.

I think for T-2-1 requirements (other than scout spirit and SM conference), it's most common to have at least some older boys allowed to sign things off. For S-L-E requirements, it's usually reserved to adults. Some units keep everything to the adults. Some delegate more to the lads.

One unit I know does somethin' like only Mr. Jones the EMT signs off first aid, only da youth and adult BSA Lifeguards can sign off water safety requirements, only your patrol leader can sign off camping requirements, etc. - kinda skill expertise-based.

B

This is a point I just came across the other day as I was looking at my son's book. (I am the SM btw) The requirement for Scout Spirit just says "demonstrate" but not to whom. Why does the SM "Have" to be the one to sign this off. Usually the only way we know whether a scout has done this is by asking him during a SM conference. Wouldn't a fellow scout who sees the boy evryday in school, church, the neighborhood actually be better off in knowing how a Scout lives in his everyday life.

A related analogy: I was at a EBOR yesterday. The guy asked to do the invocation and benediction was the Scout's Young Life advisor in High School. During the benediction, he related how he was not that familiar with all the aspects of Boy Scouts but did know that Eagle was important. After hearing all the typical things one hears about the new Eagle Scout. he said "I get it now" He knew the Scout but now he knows why the Scout was who he was. He lived the Oath and Law in his everyday life and it showed.

• Upvote 1

PLs and Instructors do most of the signing for our guys working up to 1st Class. All of the older guys are expected to help train as part of life in the patrol. If the scout is attending "Trail to First Class" classes at camp, we insist the camp instructor NOT sign the books because we've had too much trouble with mass classes where the scouts didn't really get to individually "demonstrate..., etc." When they get back to camp after class, we can quickly tell what is ready for signoff and what needs more work.

Before conducting a SM Conf, I have a quick chat with the scout's PL and his "boss" if he has a position of responsibility to make sure he's ready to move up. I've been surprised several times. The guys see things we never know about.

my son's troop the boys that have already completed a skill teached the skill to boy's learning... when the teaching boy believes the learning boy now knows what he is doing he tells the boy 'ok now go show leader X and he/she will sign it off once you show off your skill'

I personally like this method because it does let the boys teach, but it also allows the adults to know for a fact that the boy has learned the skill.

Our Troop only permits a SM or ASM to sign for Star, Life and Eagle, with the caveat that it is not a family member.

We teach "teaching and testing" every year at election time, so those boys who ATTEND the class are allowed to sign off books, as long as its for a rank they have already earned. Also, with the caveat that it is not a family member. Scout Spirit and SM Conference is for the SM to delegate.

Family members extends to cousins and grandparents.