Rank Requirement Sign-off - Who Does It In Your Troop?

I inherited this system when I became Scoutmaster, and I have not seen a reason to change:

First Class can sign off Tenderfoot.

Star can sign off Tenderfoot and 2nd Class

Life can sign off Tenderfoot, 2nd Class and First Class

Ranks of Star, Life & Eagle are signed off by ASMs.

Scout Spirit is signed by the Scout himself. I tell the Scout during the Scoutmaster rank advancement conference that he is the best observer of his ability to follow oath and law in everyday life. We discuss it, and then I let the Scout initial his own Handbook.

I tell each boy what requirements he may sign, based on his demonstrated expertise in those requirements. If a Life Scout has trouble with lashings, he doesn't sign lashing requirements. The Tenderfoot expert in rope signs higher ranks rope requirements if he is the expert. Rank is irrelavant.

If a family member cannot be trusted to fair to all boys, I would not have him sign for anyone.

I tell each boy what requirements he may sign, based on his demonstrated expertise in those requirements.

Dat's a nice way to go, eh!

Yeh don't see it much because a lot of troops (adults?) want a more formal system, but the lads often recognize when one boy has particular skill cooking or knot-tying or whatnot, and recognizin' it in this way does everyone good.

B

Just a note:

First Class Requirement Five (old HB) 5. Visit and discuss with a selected individual approved by your leader (elected official, judge, attorney, civil servant, principal, teacher) your constitutional rights and obligations as a U.S. citizen.

This is an adult exclusive sign-off, that being the adult who does the discussion.

Our policy will have to change a bit with the new handbook but...

We've allowed scouts 1st class and above to sign off on requirements for T21. But, they initialed the requirements list in the individual chapter and then sent them to an ASM or SM for the official sign off in the back of the book, the understanding being the ASM/SM can ask the scout to demonstrate the skill. As SM I reserve the scout spirit discussion and SM conference sign off for all ranks and all sign offs for SLE for myself.