Bugler now OK for Eagle

One thing that I don't think has been mentioned is that it now seems that Bugler is an OK POR for Eagle in the new 12th edition of the handbook. Hadn't noticed it before someone one Facebook pointed it out. Looks like a new Eagle app will definitely be coming out sometime on 2010 to handle new PORs that would be OK for Eagle (bugler and perhaps webmaster and LNT Trainer).

I hope that new Eagle application also has way to ELECTRONICALLY enter the names, addresses, E-MAIL addresses, and telephone numbers for the recommendations.

My council is requiring Scouts to use the ScoutNet application. That means boys are asked hand-enter and/or type information into the PDF file. NOBODY has a typewriter anymore, and some of their handwriting is not good. ScoutNet needs to provide an application with electronic form fields.

BTW, the current Eagle Leadership Project Workbook from NESA.org has an error in one of the editable PDF fields. The field in which the Scout enters the total number of hours is in a non-changeable teeny tiny font size - almost comical. Of course the other problem is that the form fields don't auto-wrap and won't allow insertion of tables or pictures, so they are a major pain to use. My son just entered "seen next page" and hand-inserted paper pages created using Word or Excel.

A proper bugler is the most important position in a troop behind a Patrol leader. It is he who enforces a schedule, musters all the troops (literally) either on a patrol or troop level. His calls can keep scouts out of trouble (as an example, a recall to the campsite if foul weather is imminent). A good troop will do far better with a competent bugler.

Look at the information we have recently discussed regarding troop buglers here:

http://www.scouter.com/forums/viewThread.asp?threadID=227350#id_232535

A better question:

When was Bugler not considered a PoR appropriate for any rank?

I've known active Buglers and really inactive Chaplain Assistants, and Troop Librarians who were all considered good to go for rank. I thought all listed PoR (possible exception: Assistant Patrol Leader) were appropriate.

Is there a master list or something?

"I would just like to point out that the Scouts must fill a Position of Responsibility not a Position of Leadership. Very different things."

I agree. I would also respectfully submit that if the Eagle requirements don't currently require a Position of Leadership instead of a Position of Responsibility, they should be changed. An Eagle Scout needs to demonstrate leadership.