High Tech Eagle Project

As an Eagle that works in the computer industry seeing "Eagle Scout" in one of Microsoft's blogs got my attention. Seems a scout in Bellvue, WA is upgrading his school's computers for his eagle project. He won't have to worry about rain!

http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/windows7/archive/2009/08/07/local-eagle-scout-project-means-early-windows-7-deployment-across-an-elementary-school.aspx

So, how is he demonstrating leadership in this project?

Isn't it all about him planning and directing others who are doing the work - and not so much about him doing the work by himself?

There was no mention of others helping with the project - other than the IT Director and the father - but I suppose that doesn't mean it didn't happen.

It is a very doable project. I had one of my scouts do that same thing 10+ years ago. Yes he used his resources, i.e the comp. lab teacher, but he did the fundraising, recruited the boys to install the computers, etc.

What benefit is the question...

Well, the same benefit that a painted fence gives.

It looks nicer and prettier, but still does the same thing as it did before.

And supervising workers setting up a computer OS is alot more intensive than supervising workers painting a fence. Can they EVER paint the fence wrong? As long as they use the provided materials they can't do anything wrong, unless they are totally stupid. (Painting the Grass?)

The scout first has to train his assistants how to format the HD, settings needed to enter on install, debugging install problems etc.