Non-Committee Parents in Boards of Review

When I started in my son's troop, I was told that you had to be an ASM who had been through Scoutmaster training to serve on a BOR. As I learned later, according to the training materials it's supposed to be a committee member job. When I pointed this out, I was told that the training materials are just guidelines, not actual rules.

From the 2008 BSA Advancement Policies and Procedures - in BOLD print -

"A Scout's unit leaders, assistant unit leaders, relatives, or guardians may not serve as members of his board of review."

Yes, this is most definately a RULE!(This message has been edited by scoutnut)

Yeah, I agree, but I could tell them this until I'm blue in the face, and they either don't care, don't comprehend, or think they know better. Since there don't seem to be any consequences for doing it wrong, there is little incentive to change something that as far as they are concerned has worked well for them in the past.

So the non-committee parents fill out an adult applicatin before they begin the BORd, now they are committee members. If they think they will get "roped" into doing more work, they can always refuse, its not like an eternal contract with the devil.

So for those who say these are only guidelines, you have a choice, grin and bear it or leave, I wish I had a method to solve the problem, but I am lacking

"its not like an eternal contract with the devil", all they would need to do is add a little bit of fine print down at the bottom and it could be. Might have to try that with the next UC I sign up.

Here a few thing that might help you out:

"Board of Review Training" http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/BoyScouts/TrainingModules/BoardofReviewTraining.aspx

"Advancement Committee Policies and Procedures" http://scoutmaster.typepad.com/2008AdvancementGuideBook.pdf

Ideally, you would have a BOR consisting entirely of troop committee members. I'm guessing the rule is there to cover situations where a quorum of troop committee is not achieved but a Scout needs a BOR. Better to do it this way than to make the boy wait another month.(This message has been edited by sherminator505)