2010 Changes to Advancement

I have a question...

for boys that have been in scouts prior to this and therefore have a book without these requirements, but have not completed all the ranks... do they use the requirements that are in their book or do they have to get a new book and do new requirements (or just do the new requirements without getting new book)?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kathy:

Scouts are required to fulfill the current requirements. There are requirements that are not in the current edition of the Handbook. Current requirements can be found at http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/BoyScouts/AdvancementandAwards.aspx or in the 2009 Requirements Book.

I wonder how many scouts nationwide do not actually do all the requirements for rank because some requirements are not in the Handbook? Many troops use the book as the only record of advancement and scouts certainly use it to learn what the requirements are. It is discouraging for a scout to think he has everything signed off and then be told that there is another requirement or two not in the book. I have always thought that this is a flaw in the system.

Hal

"It's a bloody BUZZWORD though. "

Learning buzzwords and acronyms is part of required training needed in today's corporate environment. This is simply preparing today's scouts for future corporate leadership. Next, scouts will be required to submit their MB reports and other documentation electronically via handheld computers. That's what the "electronic device" pocket is for on the new uniform shirt. Units will be banned from banning all electronic devices.

SA

Regarding shortridge's suggestion on confusion with the LNT Trainer POR:

Hopefully there won't be any. As an LNT Trainer I get periodic e-mails from out council's LNT advocate whenever there is something new and interesting in the LNT world. When the new LNT based requirements were first being revealed the question was asked about what training would be required for the POR. The word from someone involved w/ LNT at the national level was for a scout to fill the LNT Trainer POR they would be required to complete the 16 Hour LNT Trainer course (sorry I don't have a more authoritative source or reference available.) If this does pan out then any scout filling the POR would indeed be an LNT Trainer.

Thanks - that's very interesting. I just completed the Trainer course last month, and really enjoyed it. However, it wasn't easy - I bugged the heck out of my state's advocate for a year and a half about courses before finding something through my local council.

The courses simply aren't available in a whole lot of areas - at least not here in the east. I heard all councils are supposed to have their own LNT coordinators/advocates very soon to help facilitate the process, but that's going to be slow going.

I'd love to get the Master Educator training and teach some Trainer courses, but there's no way right now that I can commit the time and money to that.

However, it does seem like something that a really gung-ho OA lodge could take up as a special project and do some work with... pay for a couple of folks (youth members and advisers alike) to go to NOLS with the promise that they return and run a minimum number of weekend Trainer courses over the next two years. It would pay for itself pretty quickly.

Minor Hijack, speaking of current buzzwords

When did it become in vogue to "reach out" to people instead of caling them on the phone, sending them an Email, talking to them in person or even (Horrors) sending them a snail mail?

Next time I get advice to reach out to someone, I am going to remind them of what happened in that troop where Jack reached out once too often and was given a 365 day time out

• 3 weeks later...

Finally had a chance to read through the 2010 changes

Most of them make sense to me and they seem to have a place in developing a boy into a leader.

Scrathing my head on the 2nd class earning money and the Leave No Trace Trainer.

I'm a current LNT Trainer so how do we get the boy trained to be one?

I admit that adding the Scout Law requirements is a big help! Most of the boys in my troop memorize it for TF and then never say it again.

OGE,

If I answer your question you will have to move this thread to Issues and Politics.

SA,

The youth will have plenty of time in grades 9-12 to get used to buzzwords. Surely BSA could have found something less edgey (sic) ;)

I have been asking at every one of my SM Confernces to pick out one or two favorite points on the scout law and why it is important and how they live it in their everyday life. I guess since it is another requirement in the same realm of the scout spirit one, this is one that I will have to tell scouts that the only one who can sign off is me as the scoutmaster as this is something I will ask in the SM Conference.

Another minor hijack.

Learning buzzwords and acronyms is part of required training needed in today's corporate environment. This is simply preparing today's scouts for future corporate leadership.

Bull! Buzzwords change constantly! Acronyms are industry specific. Focusing on developing character is a lot more important than learning buzzwords & acronyms. LSMFT!

The OP's list is what I got at PTC last week.

I don't like the earn an amount and save it requirement myself. The only time my kids earn money is for lawn work in the summer and they don't get allowances.