2010 Eagle required MBs

I have heard from a few sources that the Eagle required merit badge list will be changing in 2010. Not to spread rumor, I am wondering does anyone have a credible source that can confirm this? What are the changes, and what happes to a boy that is working on the 'old' list?

Any such change is atleast half a year away.

As I doubt it will be a radical change, I really wouldn't get too concerned. the last time they made a change, it was to make some changes in the alternate list (where you had to get one of 2-3 different merit badges).

Not certain if a scout is Life working toward Eagle if he can continue to use the list of required merit badges at the time and not have to change.

New Handbook is coming out in August. That might have the new requirements. Rumor (from other threads)is that there will also be changes in the T-SC-FC requirements as well. I think they gave some warning the last time they changed Eagle required MBs. Once they publish the changes they should also say what the policy concerning scouts working on Eagle.

I would say that this should light a fire under any Life Scouts to try and finish by 1st of the year. I vaguely remember that there was a 3 month grace period during which Eagles could be completed with old requirements. I could be wrong and/or it could be different this time.

Scouts who have already used a demoted merit badge for Star or Life still have those awards but that MB wouldn't count for Eagle unless Eagle is completed before the deadline. I remember that this was a concern with a scout who had earned Star with Sports MB but it wasn't an Eagle required by the time he earned Life.

Here is what I had posted back in June on MBs for Eagle and the new Handbook. The new Handbook didn't have any changes for Eagle required MBs, so it hasn't happened yet.

-- begin old post --

After talking with a few attendees at the Advancement conference at PTC, here are a few things that National is considering (according to a National advancement person who spoke to the class).

Other than what I've listed below, I have no details other than National is considering the following:

1) Combining "Citizenship in the Community" and "Citizenship in the Nation" into a single "Citizenship in the United States" merit badge. Then, using the freed up Eagle-required slot, making "Cooking" an Eagle-required badge.

-- end old post --

When it happens, it happens. ACP&P #33088 has guidance on how changes in requirements apply for Scouts seeking S-L-E, as will Requirements #33215/6.

Remember BS Handbook is part of an integrated set of program documents, including Requirements...

Good to at least know the rumos anyway, I have 3 Life scouts all well along toward Eagle. One is under the gun age wise and already has his foot on the gas, but the other 2 are just 15. I am going to urge them to step on it a bit to make sure they are complete before year's end just incase requirements change up.

One should not assume that changes in requirements will always result in tougher requirements. As often as not requirements are relaxed. When and if requirements are changed, a transition period is specified during which a scout may be advanced under the prior rules. Often the scout is allowed to elect the new rules. This is true for other ranks as well as eagle.

eisley,

I've seen both in my time. For the current First Class recruiting requirement that came ib about 3-4 years ago, there was a grace period (six months?). For the bullying stuff put in a couple years ago at T-2-1, there was none.