Water Sports "rescue training" compliance question

We are trying to plan an event to allow scouts to qualify for the water sports merit badge.

Can anyone who has done this tell me how you complied with the following phrase: "All supervisors must complete... rescue training for the type of watercraft to be used in the activity".

We will be using ski boats and instruction provided by very good skiers from a local water ski club. Is there a coast guard or BSA "rescue training" for water ski boats. I have an email to our DE and will ask at the next roundtable but do you all have any ideas?

Here is the full quote for context from Safety Afloat:

==============

http://www.scouting.org/HealthandSafety/GSS/gss02.aspx

Safety Afloat

1. Qualified Supervision

" All activity afloat must be supervised by a mature and conscientious adult age 21 or older who understands and knowingly accepts responsibility for the well-being and safety of the children in his or her care, who is experienced and qualified in the particular watercraft skills and equipment involved in the activity, and who is committed to compliance with the nine points of BSA Safety Afloat. One such supervisor is required for each 10 people, with a minimum of two adults for any one group. At least one supervisor must be age 21 or older, and the remaining supervisors must be age 18 or older. All supervisors must complete BSA Safety Afloat and Safe Swim Defense training and rescue training for the type of watercraft to be used in the activity, and at least one must be trained in CPR. It is strongly recommended that all units have at least one adult or older youth member currently trained as a BSA Lifeguard to assist in the planning and conducting of all activity afloat"

If you are using the latest ed of the MBP, it may be referring to the new water skills training that will be mandatory next year I believe. Best place to ask would be on the Health and Safety group on MyScouting.org as one of the health and Safety pros from national resides there, only comig her to tell us to stop playing jokes on April Fool's day :) .

The new trainings are gonna get interesting for some of us old fogeys. I been through and taught various water related MBs because A) I was both a BSA and YMCA Lifeguard, and YMCA Lifeguard Instructor, and B) I have 3 Fifty Milers under my belt allof which have been afloat. I've asked about looking at a syllabus and how folks not going to summer camp can get trained, but no answers yet.

I teach Swim Defense and Safety Afloat for our local council...

I have a Safety Afloat pdf I use when I teach the class (approved by council) that references "Water Skiing safety code and Boat Drivers Safety Code in the Merit Badge Book. I have not covered that MB before, so I don't have the book handy.

I have covered the Kayak Award class and the Canoe/White Water MB (using ACA/Whitewater instructors) and there are techniques practiced for rescues for capsized boats as part of the program....I doubt you will have to actually practice capsizing a ski boat, but any local water craft class (usually from from State Parks) should have some hand outs..

(This message has been edited by dg98adams)

Knot Head

I asked the same question when we went white water rafting last weekend I called our council and was referred to a gentlemen who is on the committee or aquatic activities. the answer got as we were using a professional service that there safety training was sufficient for the intent of the regulation and that the new regulations were a work in progress ? anyway after I had that conversation council approved out tour permit no more questions.

Tony

I have tried to find out what it entails, but no luck so far.

What changes are coming and how would we prepare for it....

I am a YMCA lifeguard (CPR. Oxygen/AED/1st Aid certs.) , BSA Lifeguard & a counselor for Lifesaving/Swimming MB), been on the Aquatics staff at our local camp for a couple years...but doubt I will attend camp school for Aquatics director anytime soon, too much $$ for personal training.

Even if I did, I would not be able to work 2-3 weeks of Camp as I work full time.

Maybe when I retire....