Tenderfoot Rank - Patrol Name, Yell, Flag

In order to fulfill the requirement one does not have to make a flag. This is adding to the requirement. If the boy stands up ties a piece of cloth on a stick he picked up coming into the meeting and says, "Our patrol flag is a rag on a stick", he has fulfilled the requirement. If the boys want a decent flag they can make one, but it's not part of the requirement for Tenderfoot. It is totally inappropriate for one boy be required to make a flag because the patrol is a NSP and the next candidate doesn't have to because he blended into a legacy patrol. This isn't babying anyone, it's teaching the boys that the requirements for advancement are made up on the fly by adults can't accept what's written in the book.

Also, the requirements for Scout are not the same as the AOL award. Any boy can get through Scout with a simple session or two. TENDERFOOT requirement covers the requirement for AOL. If a boy has AOL he has already completed the requirements for Tenderfoot. All my AOL boys that crossed over under my leadership, fulfilled the TF requirement in the first month, it was all review for them. First session, do the physical fitness test, go on a campout during the month and wrap up the physical fitness 30 days later and you're done. Except for the campout the TF requirements were pretty boring for the boys.

Stosh

(This message has been edited by jblake47)

When I was an ASM a long time ago, our troop always brought a craft bucket on campouts with us for after dark that contained markers, beads, scraps of cloth, leather, etc etc., for the boys to make some sort of knicknack and we always had the new tenderfoot scouts make their own patrol flag then to fly along side of the others and we had a little ceremony to go along with the event, the boys always thought it was kind of cool. But I have to agree, the requirement says describe and not make the patrol flag.