Scouts eager to earn Merit Badges

Excellent! You threw that together pretty fast. So I guess you explain under the Gate Keeper part that there should be a scoutmaster signature when they first see the scout's card? Our council uses white cards and the SM only has one place to sign, so that was a problem area with us. Many of our SMs assumed they were the last to sign, not the first. I can't remember the reference for that, but I think it is important because it is abused so much by MB Camporees and Summer Camp.

Barry

Barry asked in part,

So I guess you explain under the Gate Keeper part that there should be a scoutmaster signature when they first see the scout's card?

Absolutely. While it's on the BSA website, I believe that part of the MB process is enshrined in Requirements #33215. Given that the Scoutmaster is mentor as part of his role as the program guy for the troop: Helping Scouts find Counselors who are a "fit" is a task the SM should relish.

Nike,

Regarding your question about skills awards:

They started for boy scouts about 1972...and were done away with mid/late eighties.

12 total, you had to earn 8, they were intended as instant recognition. For example, if you finished cooking skill award on the weekend camp out, ideally you should have received it at the campout or at the next scout meeting at the latest. I remember scoutmasters carrying the most popular ones in their briefcases.

Not as indepth as MBs, they gave scouts the feeling of accomplishment.

I think when advancement was revamped in the eighties, the skill award requirements were divided between the ranks of tenderfoot thru first class (for the most part).

They were pretty cool for new scouts...over time, they became scratched up on your official scout belt from camp outs and hikes. I quit wearing mine when I went to Philmont as a Life scout and picked up a leather belt.

1989 was when they put an end to the skill awards. You had to earn 8 of the 12. Some were required for each rank, and the others were elective. Tenderfoot required Citizenship and one other. Second Class required Hiking, First Aid and any other to total 5. First Class required Camping, Cooking and any other to total 8.

The 12 Skill Awards were Camping, Citizenship, Communications, Community Living, Conservation, Cooking, Environment, Family Living, First Aid, Hiking, Physical Fitness and Swimming.

Skill awards were part of the 70s 'relevancy' gig. I can tell you that being a youth member from 1968 to 1973 or so, they weren't there for us. I was glad I earned my T-2-1 requirements :)

They belong with the red berets... GONE!

Years ago I went to our Council's Exporee - held every three or four years for all the Cub and Boy Scouts in the Council. At the midway I bought a set of the skill awards belt loops. Made a really cool hat band. Get a lot of comments on that from Scouters that remember the skill awards and from those that don't and ask about what they are.

Buffalo Skipper - I think you did the right thing. I have some new Scouts that are very eager to start on merit badges (or maybe I should say their parents are eager). Your Scout's list is interesting. I've never heard of any Scout in my area that has worked on Nuclear Science. Seems like he has a lot of interests.

I earned all twelve Skill Awards.

The truth is they were just mini-milestones in the first three ranks. Another way to to give recognition for work done a long the way. It did provide and excellent excuse for the Scouts to wear their official BSA belt.

In my opinion I am glad they are gone. Too much recognition diminishes all recognition.

I was a scout during the Skill Award era. I also earned all 12 and still have mine, scratched up as described above. While cleaning out our scout hut over the Christmas break, I found several complete sets in velvet frames. I spent some time on numerous occasions contemplating the difference between the Skill Award system and the one now used for T-2-1. I see (as best I can recall) the same requirements in the rank as used to be in the skill awards. I can't say as I liked or disliked the Skill Awards, so I see the requirements now and then as largely the same, just in a different package.

Nuclear Science. The nearest nuclear facility to us is, I believe over 300 miles away. However, the now defunct Westinghouse factory here used to produce reactor cores. I also have a friend (my former ACM) who is now an ASM with another troop who was a naval nuc officer. We also have 2 parents who are veterinary doctors.

Some of you have commented on this particular scout. He is a very interesting boy. He excels at soccer, tennis and runs daily (participates in 5 and 10ks). He is a gifted student, and is a surprisingly talented artist as well, with a deep creative streak. He is a very happy person, always smiling, and he is quite the cut-up. Sadly, he never knew his father, who was killed when his helicopter went down, a few months before he was born.

His mother certainly pushes him, but she is not a helicopter parent herself, and in fact, I see her as very balanced parent. She sees scouts as a good way to channel his energy, and does not put sports first. She does admit he has a "Ready, Fire! Aim" mentality, to which I can attest. I can tell you, however, that his mother did not push him to put in for the MBs. I have watched him for some time, soaking in how things work. He waited until the right time and came up with the list in hand. He will do well.

Now where will I find Potter and Dentistry MBCs....

Dentistry is easy. Have the boy ask his dentist.

Pottery - do you have any colleges/universities nearby? Many will have an art department and either they, or maybe somebody they know, could help you with that one.

I finished 1st Class right before skill awards were introduced. But I remember one of our senior scouts coming back from Schiff sporting a new beret, talk of a revised program and about the introduction of skill awards.

Years later, when I figured out that skill awards had been axed, but that the Cub Scout Academics and Sports program reintroduced belt loops, I figured someone at national was enamored of the idea of using them for instant recognition.

Guy

Returning completely to the subject at hand, and to Barry's request, there was one other point I wanted to make:

- Mr/Ms Counselor, you're responsible for knowing the requirement set your youth will start under. Currency in requirements is your responsibility.

TRUE, and sad story: Last fall I was working an MB Day. I do Citizenship in the World. IF the kids have done my pre-requisites, they will leave the day with a completed MB. I hate to say this, but in a way I'm lucky, only about half the kids have the front-end work done. That means it's really a support/coaching session for them.

Anyway. The support materials clearly state which edition of the MB Pam I use. One poor young soul came in, having done his pre-reqs against an older pamphlet (..."but it's what we have in the Troop Library."...) I asked him about the requirements, and he could not address them. I didn't sign off.

His SM came to me all irate. "He'd done the work." I showed him the materials from the initial packet, which he got, and the materials sent to him in the "you're set to go packet." Both clearly showed the date of the pamphlet. I simply asked him: "When did your Troop Librarian last review the contents to assure your Library was current? My responsibility is to counsel against what BSA says is current material, not against the content of your Troop Library box."

He walked away rather deflated. Sigh. OBJECT LESSON: Units need to, once a year, check Troop Libraries against BSA program materials.