Meritbadge Camporee

That sounds a bit nuts. A weekend Camporee should be set up to help Scouts earn some components of a badge, especially those they may not have easy access too (i.e.climbing wall, range, high-ropes). But it seems a stretch to earn even one during a weekend much less "see how many". To turn it into a "I earned more than you" competition is whack.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Daddy-O writes,

I think its a wonderful idea (surprise surprise).

No it wouldn't surprise me at all. Too many people want to rush and get requirements out of the way, I've even had parents that showed me their sons schedule for their complete time as a Boy Scout.

When I cut the grass I do it as fast as I can. I dont want to be an expert; I want to be finished! From my reading (and very little else admittedly) It seems that the biggest problem with your organization is attrition, not too many inexperienced Eagles.

I want to get the grass done fast too, but it should also be done right. Sometimes that takes a little bit more time than just rushing through it. I did not join Boy Scouts to become an Eagle Scout, I did that once somebody told me I couldn't. Can't tell you which time I earned witch merit badge but the times that I had and shared with my fellow scouts are always there for me to remember. Being outdoors, working and playing, but more then anything learning about nature, just can't put a price or Rank on that.

I dont know, but I would bet that your Eagles are much better contributors and supporters later in life (no pun intended). Why would some aged out star scout give money, time or encourage others to join?

Not true, two of our troop's ASM were both Boy Scouts and only went as high as Star, and believe me I put them way ahead of many other Eagle Scouts.

Daddy-O says: "I dont know, but I would bet that your Eagles are much better contributors and supporters later in life (no pun intended). Why would some aged out star scout give money, time or encourage others to join? "

-----------

Why? Maybe because scouting is not all about the rank. It is about the experiences. I've known plenty of folks who never earned Eagle, but who have very fond memories of their time as scouts. Fun, adventure, friendship, overcoming challenges, new skills, these are the things that make lasting impressions in people's lives. You don't need to make it to Eagle to experience those.

My son has been in scouting for about 8 years (cubs & boy scouts). In that time, I've been amazed at how receptive people are to scouting. Whenever he has done any fundraising or community outreach through scouting, inevitably people he has never even met before will say to him "Oh yes, I was a scout too! I remember when..." and then most of the time they'll offer what support they can give. Very few say "Oh I was an Eagle!" No, they say "I was a SCOUT."

Not to belittle the accomplishment of earning Eagle, but that is not what Scouting is about.

Lisa,

How come you say it so much better than I?

My son is an Eagle Scout ... but guess what? That's not the end of his journey. That's not even the purpose of his journey. He's a better young man for spending 12 years inside Scouting, from Bobcat to Venturer. He's met great people (both in his peer group and in the adults he associates with), he's had chances to grow more confident as a person, he's a gentle man and a gentleman... things I could not have inculcated into him by myself.

Of his (in particular) Eagle Required Merit Badges, he did all 3 of his long ones working with Counselors completely outside the Troop. He's known in his community, because he's spent time working with Scouters.

It's about all eight Methods, Daddy-O ... they all work in concert and balance. There's a reason most of us are saying this MB oriented Camporee is a bad idea ... it's because we've learned about the Scouting learning model.

I dont know, but I would bet that your Eagles are much better contributors and supporters later in life (no pun intended). Why would some aged out star scout give money, time or encourage others to join?

Yah, my unscientific observation is that Star and Life scouts are as active supporters later in life. Of course, there's more of 'em.

Why not let the boys knock out some hard-to-get less-than-fun MBs and move on? Just to exhibit your arbitrary power? I dont get that part of it. Set the goal posts, and help the boys to score Simple.

At almost every Eagle BOR, when I ask what Merit Badges da boy feels were the most valuable, it is always "some hard-to-get" badge. Boys aren't dumb. They know that the badges where they really had to work, and had the benefit of a counselor who made them work, are the ones that are "best." You'd be surprised how many "less-than-fun" badges like Citizenship, Communications, Personal Management get mentioned by boys as being ones they really learned from.

Provided they're not done at one of these Merit Badge Fairs.

Beavah