more adding to the Eagle application requirements VENT

LOL.

Yah, da Great Scoutmaster works in amusin' ways, eh?

Good luck to your son tomorrow night, CA_Scouter! It'll be our pleasure to welcome another Eagle to da convocation.

B

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UPDATE:

Son had Eagle BOR last night and is now the newest Eagle Scout in America ! ( unless someone from Hawaii did one last night )

;-)

The BOR was held the same night as a Council meeting, so the District Executive himself was on the BOR.

We are a happy family. Son now joins Dad and Uncle as Eagles and I have 2 more nephews at Life and Star who we hope will continue their advancement.

WooHoo!

Yes, congratulations. I hope his success quickly erases the concern he had before.

New situation: Boy is in Venture Patrol. Arrives at Eagle BOR. Is informed that he cannot do the BOR in his Venture Patrol shirt (the forest green one that BSA sells). Problem, his old boy scout shirt is way, way too small. Does he have to buy a new shirt just for the BOR? Should I rip the patches off one of my shirts and let him glue new patches on it temporarily so he can wear it to a BOR?

Oh you raspscallion Pack, you know there is no requirement for a scout to own a uniform, one that fits him or otherwise. How much time do we have and is the boy a feisty sort? If there is time, have the boy show up neatly dressed and inform the Board of Review he has no uniform that fits and since a uniform is not a requirement of the BSA, he needs not to have one for his Eagle BOR. He should also be ready to explain why he is at an Eagle Board of review and doenst have a uniform that fits as well. If he gets turned down for the BOR, appeal it, go to National and you will probably win.

On the other hand, tell me more about this Venture Patrol (as opposed to a Venturing Crew) green shirt the BSA sells, I am not sure I have heard of it

Then again, how about the boy buy the correct uniform, wear it to the BOR and then sell the slightly used uniform to another like sized scout? Might be the best approach when all things are considered

Heh, heh, none of the boys in this unit have 'slightly' used uniforms. They really do get worn...out. But yes, I did know that. The shirt is one of the Venture unit shirts that someone decided to wear anyway, I wasn't consulted. The problem may be with the DAC. He may be the person behind this and if so, his presence and signature are required. Me..I'd shake that hornet's nest in a microsecond if it didn't threaten the boy. He just wants to advance. We'll take the shortest path.

If the boy were to show up in a suit and tie or some other suitable job interview attire, then yes, I would say that "uniforms are not required" is a proper defense. However, if the boy is a registered boy scout and is not a registered venturer and shows up to an EBOR in a venturing crew shirt, then "uniforms are not required" is not a proper defense.

Respectfully disagree, John.

The shortest path is to loan the boy a shirt. The path of greatest uproar is probably to eppeal.

An intermediate path is to charter the Venture Patrol as a Venturing Crew. Or else have the boy coregister with some other Venturing Crew.

Ideally, the Venturing Crew in question would specialize in clowning around and their uniform would be a clown suit. So the boy shows up in a clown suit. :)

Just to be sure I don't get accused of too much muck raking or rabble rousing, I did end up saying the best route was for the boy to get a Boy Scout uniform and then sell it, or more properly have the buyer identified when the uniform is bought.

At times, going along to get along has its merits

Whoa, did I really just say that?