I have looked through the new Insignia Guide that my CC picked up the other day.

I knwo that some have mentioned that all rank and insignia have to be sewn on/attached directly to the uniform. I could not find it. Can some guide me to the page as I have the book in my possession. I have some parents that think attaching the patches is an option. I have some that use tape or STAPLES to attach the uniforms. Talk about being taken aback when I saw that. I made the boy take it off as we were in a christmas parade and I thought it just looked horrible.

And yes, there is mention of the video games belt loop and pin. It is a sad day when the BSA promotes sitting on your duff conducting activities that do not promote active movement or learning. I am waiting to see what the requirements are. Altough they did put some new and interesting ones. My son like taking pictures, and they have added the photography.

Here is a list of the new Belt Loops and Pins

Abilities Awareness

Family Travel (Goes good with the traveler AB)

Good Manners (I though we were already teaching this)

Hiking

Hockey

Horseback riding (Not available for Tigers due to Age Limitations)

Pet Care

Photography (I thinkthat I have several boys in my pack will go for this one.)

Reading and Writing

Skateboarding

Video Games (This one makes my skin crawl)

Any thoughts.

Yes, it is a sad day when they plan to start offering a video games loop. However, this does not necessarily mean the scout will be sitting still to earn it. Have you seen some of the games now out there? On the Wii there are full body movement games like Dance Dance Revolution and a fitness/workout one that in addition to putting you through a work-out weighs you and gauges your fitness every day along with other family members that puts on a bit of family competition on who can be the most fit. These are just two examples.

Here is an example of the Dance Dance Revolution Game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JzcqALklRs

Not exactly sitting on your duff. I don't know about you, but I highly doubt I could keep up with that kid.

I suppose it will depend on the requirements of the loop.(This message has been edited by moxieman)

"I knwo that some have mentioned that all rank and insignia have to be sewn on/attached directly to the uniform."

While I don't have an IG in front of me, I'm fairly certain this isn't a rule, and thus the reason why you can't locate it. If it were, everyone who velcroed, ironed on or BadgeMatic'd their patches would be breaking the rules. And what makes staples different from sewing thread? They're both methods of attaching it directly to the uniform.

"I have some parents that think attaching the patches is an option. I have some that use tape or STAPLES to attach the uniforms. Talk about being taken aback when I saw that. I made the boy take it off as we were in a christmas parade and I thought it just looked horrible."

I know this wasn't the main point of your post, but I'm not sure I see the need to have done this. It only singles the Cub out for ridicule. Perhaps he stapled it on himself because his parents were too busy or unavailable and he wanted to show how proud he was of earning that patch; perhaps his parents don't know how to sew. He just wants to wear the uniform correctly.

Were your Cubs moving so slowly in the parade, and so close to the sidewalks, that the viewers could see that it was held on with staples? I doubt it.

Were your Cubs moving so slowly in the parade, and so close to the sidewalks, that the viewers could see that it was held on with staples? I doubt it.

Yes you could tell. My CC noticed it from about 30 feet away. It was only attached with one staple, and not all that well either. And as for the one that attached it, it was his mother. She said that she had no idea on how use a thread and needle.

Sewing is a lost art.

I would rather see them held on by staples than the parents' pins. I have seen packs that think that is the purpose of the pins.  I try to treach the boys to do it themse;ves. It is a skill all should learn.

"I knwo that some have mentioned that all rank and insignia have to be sewn on/attached directly to the uniform."

I mentioned that, over in the Insignia area were we were speaking of Insignia.

I also mentioned in my posting where it said that. It was a Note, given in the Cub Scout area, along with the Cub Scout advancement, so, shortridge, it is a 'rule'.

I didn't see it noted in the Boy Scout area, so I mentioned in my posting that maybe it was a reaction against the plastic award holders for cub scout rank out there.

I'm too new a returnee to know if this is BSA wide, but the hot-glue that is embedded in the patches for my son's Cub Scout uniform works better than I expected.

You just have to be sure it gets melted.

I iron the front first using a doubled kerchief to keep from singing the threads. That way I can monitor the placement. Once it's secure enough, I turn it over and heat the grits out of the backside.

a) You don't care if the inside threads are a little shiny.

b) The heat of the iron coming through the thin shirt fabric is closer to the glue than when you are ironning through the badge.

Don't use this technique for any temporary patches. That glue is not coming out of the threads.

"the hot-glue that is embedded in the patches for my son's Cub Scout uniform works better than I expected."

There is no 'hot glue' embedded in patches.

The plastic backing of patches is done to prevent the patch from unraveling, NOT as a means of attaching it to the shirt. This is why the BSA sells the "Badge Magic" stuff to attach patches. Personally, I won't use the stuff. I used something similiar when I was a scout, and it didn't work to well. I prefer all my patches to be sewn on.

JoeBob,

As someone who worked at a scout shop and saw what happens to those shirts that had badges 'ironed' on, over a few washes, the patches do come off, and there is a terrible stain on the shirt. Also if you decide to make a shadow box, transfer them to a new shirt, etc the patches will start to fray, one reason why our patches are so popular overseas. further the shirt is ruined and you cannot pass it down to others b/c of the stains.

On another note, if it is the tan BS shirt, and you are thinking of throwing it away ;et me know as I'll take the BSA strip to put on my new shirt.