What do the parents expect?

Now older, wiser and more trecherous, I now solve the problems of parents going to Club Med during the week of Scout camp by asking, "So when he does something stupid and I send him home, or if he gets hurt and we're on the way to the ER, who do I call? Child Protective Services?"

The moms, especially, fold like cheap umbrellas.

As long as the parent/scondary contact can be reached by phone it should not matter where they go. Let the parent have a bit of a break if they want/need. My daughter-in-law can't wait with 4 boys (5.5 if you consider dad)!

As long as the parent/scondary contact can be reached by phone it should not matter where they go. Let the parent have a bit of a break if they want/need.

I agree except when they head to Club Med, they don't answer the phone!

The really smart parents (usually the SMs) get their kids a job WORKING at the scout camp.

Then they get six weeks of vacation! (I don't know where they went or what they did...)

Laundry? We don' need no stinking laundry!

6 or 8 weeks of vacation! I am jealous. Our summer camp is only two weeks, plus a staff week, so I only get 3 weeks.

Oh yeah, I am one of those bad mothers that couldn't be reached, when my staff son cut himself. Actually the medical guy just tried to call me to let me know, since son didn't need stitches or ER visit, but my work number was wrong on medical form. He called my alternate number and my mom called me, laughing. I felt bad, but did use it as an example to my parents (especially the first year) that the medical guy watched over the boys and would call if he had any concerns, and to remind them to check their form one more time for correct phone numbers and contacts.

All,

I don't know what a Grownup is,

but they told me when I retired from the Corps that I now had to grow up.

Star Trek had a group of people I believe they referred to as Grups (Grown ups)

which were basically anyone of I think 18 or older(definitely puberty was the break-over) because they would soon die of an age related virus after turning violent.

I think it was a First season episode, Miri?

OMG, the geekdom rises...

And then make them use the money they earned at camp to pay for their trip to NOAC. One more week, one more week! WOO-HOO!

As to the topic. Different parents have different expectations, and my own have changed over the years. I encourage them to spend some time on advancement, make sure they have fun, and hopefully become a better performing group by the end of the week. I'm interested in seeing how camp goes this summer. The troop is going to a camp they have not been at in years. This camp only does MB classes in the morning leaving the afternoon free for patrol/troop activities. I like the idea and hope it works. I don't care for the "every man for himself" mindset that can occur in a camp were they can take (earn is a stretch) a dozen MBs.

Child protective services reminded of an incident at summer camp. The parents of 1 "scout" DID go on vacation while the "scout" was at camp. The little hellion tour up about $1000 worth of new tents and wrote graffiti on the lifeguard tower with his deodorant. SM said parents would not listen to him and said 'deal with it,' so he asked the CD to handle it. CD called them at approx 9:45PM informed them that they had 12 hours to pick up their son, or he would have him arrested for trespassing and have CPS notified.

They picked up junior about 9AM.