Goldfox, it sounds like the Scout run BOR functions just like many adult run BORs I have seen! I wonder where they learned it from? So the problem is really with the techniques used, not the membership of the Board. Same as with adults.

Kudu is right on target. Hillcourt had it right, and still does. The man was a genius and when Scouting moved away from his methods, the program became watered down. There has been much discussion here lately about Scouting needing to adapt to a changing society. I think this is a prime example of it moving in the wrong direction since 1972.

Ken

I don't have a problem with how a BOR is run - by boys or by adults. I have a problem with the example this unit's adults are setting for the boys. Mainly...

1. If you don't like the rules, make your own.

2. Lie (adults sign the advancement reports for BORs they did not sit on)

I don't know about other units but in my unit, maybe because I am a trainer, the committee does not retest a boy. We ask what they like about the unit, what they would change, what they would like to see the unit do, which requirement was the hardest for you and why, etc.

Move on, mate. You're with a different program now. It's up to da folks in that troop how they choose to operate. You've heard from others that youth on BORs used to be a BSA program feature, so even though we've become more adult-driven recently, it's not an awful thing. And if yeh want to see a neverending debate, just look for old subjects with "retesting" in the title, eh? ;) All kinds of opinions on that score among scouters who are good people. Just like about "being active."

Let go. This now falls into the "it's none of your business" category, where pushin' it starts to be an issue of courtesy. If yeh look at your short string of postings to da forums, you'll note that a majority of 'em are very critical of all sorts of other volunteers in scouting in different units, and multiple complaint calls to district staff. Not a reputation yeh want to get.

While we do have a few bad apples, by and large the men and women who give a lot of time to the scouting program are good people, eh? Don't confuse minor differences over approach for being major issues.

We want the lads to climb mountains, not learn from us to trip over molehills. ;)

Beavah