Eagle COH - Charge/Challenge/Promise/Oath

I've been going over our troop's past Eagle COH docs and also have browsed the web looking for info to reconcile some wording conflicts.... Challenge vs Charge vs Promise vs Oath

Eagle Scout Challenge - 5 obligations listed in text -

this appears to be distributed with Eagle Award packets BSA 58-900, but I've never seen one in person.... is it actually printed and referenced as "The Eagle Scout Challenge" ?

Eagle Scout Charge - some intro text followed by the Promise/Oath... just local text ?

Eagle Scout Promise/Oath - which to call it ?

I guess the biggest confusion came from some websites that have the "Challenge" text, but title it as the "Charge" - we will ignore them, and go with "Challenge" ?

ps56k,

Greetings!

With my Crew21_Adv's oldest Eagle Scout son, he received a "charge" (challenge, oath, promise) in his certificate kit from National. It appears this "charge" was/is optional at an Eagle ceremony, but it was the one included in his kit.

I do not have his Eagle Ceremony Scrapbook in front of me currently, so I am shooting from the hip.

It was the same as the few popular charges found on many ECOH ceremony website suggestions. You've probably read thru a few versions already. As I recall, on one side is an image of a soaring eagle, and on the other side the charge. (off the top of my head, I just can't remember which one it is though).

But with my Crew21_Adv's youngest Eagle Scout son, he received the national certificate and wallet card kit, but this time without a charge/photo of soaring Eagle included. Which tells me, national BSA has just stopped inserting it into the recent packages.

Concur with EV, you can ask the newest Eagle Scout to accept a Challenge, take the Charge, make the Promise, etc. It is more of the Eagle Scout's and families decision.

But if you want to avoid any odd looks from fellow Eagles, I would confirm what that insert is, probably the one you have referred to 58-900.

I don't think any Eagle Scout would ever be offended by any Challenge, Charge, Promise, or Oath; but they may think it is odd, if it is not the same "charge" as they personally remember.

I will attempt to post again, after I have consulted with my Eagle Scout and viewed his Eagle Ceremony Scrapbook.

Quickly reviewing NESA and Scouting.org. I could not find the same style "charge" certificate as my oldest was given in his certificate kit, but there is a "charge" or "pledge" in the Troop Program Resources in the recommended ECOH ceremonies section. http://www.scouting.org/FILESTORE/pdf/33588.pdf

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv

They are correct that there is no official "Eagle Pledge." It's all just stuff made up for the ceremony.

I recently revised our troop's Eagle ceremony which includes both a "charge" and promise. ps56k, or anyone else who would like a copy should contact me by PM and I'll be glad to forward a copy. Not that it's any better than any thing anyone else has, but it's a start.

When OJ was planning his ESCOH, He looked at all of this.

He decided it was far to wordy and over the top for him, so he didn't use it.

I have seen it done well and done not so well.

Ea.

For my EagleSon, and the five others in his ECOH, they decided most of it was over the top too.

Instead, they asked the Troop resident Grandpa, himself an Eagle and a member of our Council Exec Board, saying a few words about the expectations people have of Eagles :)

This is the Eagle Charge we use with our troop. We have used it for several decades (I think). We charge all Eagles in attendance to stand and recite the charge with the new eagle, renewing their vow to continued service. Included is the entire presentation, not just the charge. Hope this is what you were looking for:

The Boy Scouts of all nations constitute one of the most wholesome and significant influences in the worlds history. [scouts name], you have been declared worthy of the high rank of Eagle Scout in the Boy Scouts of America. All who know you rejoice in your achievement.

Your position, as you well know, is one of honor and responsibility. You are a marked man. As an Eagle Scout, you are expected to exemplify in your daily life the high principles and values expressed in the Scout Oath and Scout Law. You have assumed a solemn obligation to do your duty to God, your country, to your fellow scouts, and to all other human beings. This is a great undertaking, which you are now just beginning. As you live up to your obligation you bring honor to yourself and your brother scouts.

As an Eagle Scout, you will be a champion to other scouts and be an example to your community. Remember, your actions will be more conspicuous. People will expect more of you. It is your responsibility to help maintain the high regard that all Americans have for Eagle Scouts. To falter would bring discredit, not only to you, but to your fellow Eagles. Keep your ideals high and your honor bright.

Your responsibility, however goes beyond your fellow scouts. They extend to your country and to your God. America has many good things to give you, and to give your children after you; but these good things depend, for the most part, on the quality of her citizens. Our country has had a great past. You can help make the future even greater.

I challenge you to undertake your citizenship with solemn dedication. Be a leader but lead only toward the best. Lift up every task you do, and every office you hold, with a high level of service to God and to your fellow human beings. Live and serve so that those who know you will be inspired to the highest ideals of life.

I challenge you to be among those who dedicated their hearts and hands to the common good. Build America on the solid foundation of clean living, honest work, unselfish citizenship, and reverence to God. Then whatever you do, you will leave behind you a record of which you may be justly proud.

The Eagle Scout candidate will now take the Eagle Scout pledge. As the candidate takes this pledge for the first time, will those Eagle Scouts who are present in the audience please stand and reaffirm their pledge?

Will each of you please give the Scout Sign and repeat after me?

On my honor I will do my best,

to do my duty to God and my country

I reaffirm my allegiance

to the three promises of the Scout Oath.

I thoughtfully recognize and take upon myself

the obligations and responsibilities of the rank of Eagle Scout.

On my honor I will do my best

to make my training an example,

and make my rank and influence

strongly count for better scouting

and for better citizenship

in my troop, in my community

and in my contact with other people

regardless of race, color, or creed.

To this I pledge my sacred honor.

The Eagle Scouts in the audience may now be seated.

[scouts name], I charge you to enter this Eagle Scout brotherhood holding ever before you, without reservation, the ideas of honor and service. By repeating the Eagle Scout Pledge before your fellow members, you have become an Eagle Scout. Though the words you used just now are similar to those by which you joined scouting, today they mean more than they ever could have meant at that time or at any time in the past. When you pledged yourself on your sacred honor, using the same words, which are found at the end of the Declaration of Independence, you sealed your eternal loyalty to the code of the Eagle Scout.

I can't recall these embellishments existing at my ECOH back in the days of yore. I wonder when and why they originated? I just recited the Scout Oath and Law slowly and purposefully. Worked for me.

But whatever the scout and his family wants.

tnx - I've seen and have all similar words for our Eagle COH.

My main topic and subject of the discussion, is where all of these texts tend to mix the title words, and therefore it becomes very difficult to track which words go with which content.

ie - You call it your Charge - but use "I challenge" in the text.

Also - the Eagle Scout "swearing in" you call the "pledge" which now makes it a count of 3 - Promise, Oath, Pledge...

All in all - it's hard to reconcile what is meant by reviewing past program handouts (not the full script) where you have one line entry for the ceremony element....

Eagle Scout Promise ->

or

Eagle Scout Oath ->

or

Eagle Scout Charge ->

it's just an issue when attempting to bring all the parts together like a kit - and you have the basic kit inventory, but you have no idea what is now meant by "insert Eagle Scout Charge"

But lastly - we now have in our hands a couple of previous scripts and can break out the elements and use them as needed, now that we have the entire doc, along with the supporting program handouts.