Multiple PalmsTimelines

What does the 3-month rule mean? If the Scout is trying to earn the maximum number of Palms between Eagle and the 18th birthday (ie once every quarter), does that mean that the Palm BOR always has to be on the exact date every 3 months (ie March 1, June 1, September 1, December 1) or does it mean at each normal quarterly BOR that is held for the entire troop which could vary (ie March 17, June 10, September 22, December 8) as long as it is in the 3-month window in terms of the months? Can the troop backdate or postdate the palm Application form to make it exactly 3 months apart (ie scenario 1)each time as long as the BOR is held on the correct month? If the ruling is date-specific (ie the 13th of the month), what if SM and BOR ASM/Coordinator don't want to have an extra BOR for that scout each time?

1. Be active in your troop and patrol for at least three months after becoming an Eagle Scout or after award of last Palm. (Eagle Palms must be earned in sequence, and the three-month tenure requirement must be observed for each Palm.)

2. Demonstrate Scout spirit by living the Scout Oath (Promise) and Scout Law in your everyday life.

3. Make a satisfactory effort to develop and demonstrate leadership ability.

4. Earn five additional merit badges beyond those required for Eagle or last Palm. (Merit badges earned any time since becoming a Boy Scout may be used to meet this requirement.)

5. Take part in a Scoutmaster conference.

6. Complete a board of review.

A Scout must be "active" (defined by BSA as "registered") for at least 3 months since his last BOR date. That's when the "active service" requirement can be signed off. When all requirements are signed off, he can request a BOR. IMHO, units who make scouts wait until the next "scheduled" BOR are doing scouts a disservice.

OPINION: Units should have the adult wherewithal (CC, Adv Coord, at least one other Committeeperson) to have a BOR within 1 week of any Scouts' request.

Yes, the Scout should request it. Yes, it should also be a scheduling thing (teaches patience, part of the CHARACTER Aim). Yes, the Committee should be able to make it happen.

Units that have their own scheduled BORs, Scouts be hung, need to look and see if they are using the Adult-Run Method of Scouting.

The question isn't of being active or not, the question is what defines the 3 months ie does it have to always be the same day of the month every quarter? What about when the day falls on a non-Scout meeting day which would be a much bigger favor to ask vs just 3 non-ASM parents who are sticking around for the meeting anyway.

Perhaps I wasn't clear. The clock starts on the date of the last BOR. If, for example, his Eagle BOR is March 5th, the 3 months ends on June 5th and ANY TIME AFTER THAT he can have a BOR for Bronze Palm, assuming all other requirements are met. If his BOR for Bronze is on March 10th, then 3 months later is June 10th and he can have another BOR for the next Palm. That's how we do it. Others will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe if the dates are fudged, ScoutNet (or your Council registrar) will catch it.

(This message has been edited by scoutldr)

The way I figure it, 3 months from January 14th is April 14th or any date after. Dates prior to April 14th are not 3 months from January 14th.

Then again thats what I think and I can't tell you how many times people don't think the same way I do

Exact dates aren't much of an issue if you are holding board of reviews as needed (per the AP&P) as opposed to only 4 times a year. By holding quarterly boards of review, a unit is effectively forcing a 6 month time period on earning palms.

As with all rank advancements, the time requirement begins on the date of the successful advancement board of review and is completed at the time specified by the requirement. So if the Eagle or Palm BOR was today, 3 months from now would be June 9. A Palm BOR could be held on or anytime after that date.

Eagle Scout Billybob Smith earns his first Bronze Palm on December 1. All other requirements dealt with, he is eligible for his first Gold Palm on March 1. That is 31+31+28 or 90 days.

Assuming Billybob gets his first Gold Palm on March 1, and assuming again all other requirements met, he is eligible for his first Silver Palm on June 1. That is 31+30+31 or 92 days.

Assuming Billybob gets his first Sivler Palm on June 1, and assuming again all other requirements met, he is eligible for his second Bronze Palm on September 1. That is 30+31+31 or 92 days.

Assuming Billybob gets his second Bronze Palm on June 1, and assuming again all other requirements met, he is eligible for his second Gold Palm on December 1. That is 30+31+30 or 91 days.

Three months, by the calendar. That's my read of ACP&P.

Have I answered your question?

It seems as if the Troop needs to hold this Scout's BOR on the X of every third month even if the X falls on a Sunday or other day not convenient to the adult leaders. Hopefully the leaders will be willing to do this for multiple consecutive quarters.

Actually thats not what I am saying at all Hint, at least I don't think I said that. I take three months to be from the initial date, as in the example Jan 14th and that makes April 14th the three month mark. Anything before that is not three months. Now, I do not think it necessary for the Troop to hold a Board of Review for the Palm on the 14th if that is not the regular troop meeting night. I did not mean to imply, that the troop should bend over backwards for the scout so he can maximize his palm total, but at the same time, the troop should not force the scout into adherring to a rigid Board of Review schedule either.

How about if the scout and Troop exhibit mutual respect towards one another. The scout respects the time and committment that the adults have given him and the unit and the adults respect the time and committment the scout has given to the troop. I am sure that something can be worked out that works for everyone, unless there is more going here than we know

NO, that's NOT what we said. The troop doesn't NEED to do anything upon demand. What would be UNreasonable, however would be to tell the scout "you just missed our quarterly BOR night, so you need to wait 3 more months." In my opinion, it would be reasonable to say "fine, we'll talk to the troop CC and let you know the next possible date" (which, in my troop, could be tonight, or could be next meeting night, depending on adult schedules). BTW, there's nothing that would prevent the scout from saying, "Mr. SM, I'm planning on being ready for my next SMC and BOR in 30 days. Would you mind scheduling those for me?" No sense in waiting till the last minute, then expecting everyone to scramble to meet YOUR deadlines.

The definitition of month is a little squierly. Some make it to the same day in each month. Our council's position is that all months have 30 days in them. Realisticly the BOR will be on the same night of the week at a troop meeting. That means a minimum of 13 weeks or 91 days.

Why would any unit make their scouts wait 3 months for a BOR? Please note that the AGP&P tells the district to stress to the units the importance of monthly boards of review.