Sounds interesting -- even though it is considered "interdisciplinary", the Robotics MB sounds like a good choice. I've though, since coming back to the program, that Computers MB is way too broad as a single MB.

I know that changes aren't made lightly, and that sometimes adding one means subtracting one. It isn't a bad idea for refreshing things every now and then.

Guy

Robotics - ok, I'll buy that (must be a similar situation to Composites...sponsored by an industry group?)

GPS/GIS - should be incorporated into Orienteering

SCUBA - I'd be surprised. That would be REAL expensive to offer at summer camp. Unless a scout took a commercial course (NAUI/PADI) or went to Sea Base, I don't see it being real popular.

For starters, GPS and GIS are two completely different things. GIS could easily be worked into Surveying, and GPS should be worked into Orienteering.... unless you want to replace it with something else when the next big navigational thing emerges in 10 years.

I do wonder what the difference would be between a SCUBA Merit Badge and the existing SCUBA BSA patch/certification. Seems like it'd have to be awfully different to warrant a merit badge.

I mean, otherwise, why not elevate Totin' Chip to a merit badge? Make Leave No Trace its own MB? Or combine Lifeguarding MB and BSA Lifeguard?

Any insight from anyone who's gone through or instructed SCUBA BSA? Is SCUBA really that popular? (I ask as a complete SCUBA/snorkeling/diving/etc. novice.)(This message has been edited by shortridge)

My son earned the BSA scuba patch a couple of summers ago. The camp had a couple of hours of instruction on one evening, and that was it. As presented to the boys at the time, it was in no way comparable to the depth of most merit badges. He had fun though, and would probably love to do a full-blown MB form of this. In fact, his venture patrol has considered taking scuba lessons from a local scuba club as a possible activity, which was a direct result of the SCUBA BSA patch experience.

Don't know but I'll state an opinion or two.

Robotics would be cool, some of scouts get involved in FIRST and NASA robot competitions. Could replace Electronics mb which is a joke.

Personally, I think GPS should go in Backpacking or some yet to be created Treking mb. Wilderness Survival needs rework too, maybe GPS and wilderness first aid could be added to that.

SCUBA certification would be my preference.

My $0.02

• 2 weeks later...

I was talking with a friend in professional Scouting and heard the same thing from him. Proposals were definitely accepted by the "Innovation Council" to create merit badges for Robotics, GIS/GPS, and SCUBA. Of course, there's been no official word on when the badges would be entered into the official list. A little more searching on the web hasn't turned up any requirement lists, but the http://ideas.scouting.org site is where some of those proposed merit badge ideas appeared.

Depending on how cheaply one can get experience with a robot kit and on what scouts will have to do with a robot, I can see the Robotics merit badge exciting the imaginations of today's scouts the way Space Exploration's rocketry requirements appealed to scouts in the late 1960's when it came out.

I have exchanged email with A PADI Official about the Scuba Merit Badge. Few specifics are available. The BSA has approved the development of the badge. PADI hopes to fast track the actual badge and would like to see it in application in a couple of months.

The Merit Badge is going to be much more involved the the BSA Scuba Award. The suggestion being put out to dive shops/operators is to use the BSA Scuba as a teaser/intro into Scuba. If the Scouts like SCUBA, then they can sign up for the merit badge with the dive operator.

All of this could change of course. This is what the PADI marketing is seeing as the relation between the two awards. Initially, I interpreted this as the MB involving something similar to a CERT, but I could be reading more into it than what is there because certifications do cost money.

Our Middle School has several to many Lego Mind Storm kits the students use for science class and Robofest competitions. The kits run about $250 if I remember correctly.

I have thought about getting a kit for my son and I now a couple of Scouts who have gotten them for Christmas. So I don't see robotics as a difficult thing for Scout to do.

That's ironic, I was just talking to another leader the other night and I told him that Scouts should introduce a MB for Robotics. My sons (W1 and 1C (as of yesterday)) just took a lego robotics class and are looking at small hobby robots to purchase.

My other thought was to have a Geocaching MB, but that could be a large module of a general GPS MB, which would probably be better.

Robotics would be cool, but I would think it would overlap with electronics MB and computers MB. Then again this field grows so fast, its hard to pigeon-hole it.

GPS - this needs to be wrapped into map/compass/orienteering etc... I would vote for a LAND NAVIGATION MB that should cover map skills, terrain association, orienteering by compass, stars, sextant (or other non-electronic means) and finally GPS. Such a badge could cover Geocaching as well. Even though I love doing it, I don't see how geocaching should be its own MB.

SCUBA - is it its own MB? What about snorkelling? What about free-diving? Shouldn't those all be combined into a DIVING MB?

Just my rambling thoughts...(This message has been edited by DeanRx)

• 4 months later...