When/Where do you conduct Scoutmaster Conferences?

When I conducted the SM conferences for the crossing AOL candidates, I took the time to go to their houses. I did this to put them at ease, working with them in their "comfort zone," so to speak. Most of the Webelos already knew me, so this was not a big issue.

Concucting a conference before, during or after a meeting can be hectic sometimes, and on more than one occasion I have felt rushed, or had to interrupt for other business; I do not like this. OTOH, I do like to go to a scout's house on a non-meeting night. My preferred place to conduct a SM conference is on a campout.

So, when and where do you conduct your SMCs?

I conduct an SMC when approached by a Scout needing one. The SMC is usually held during a Troop meeting, sometimes during a campout or at summer camp. Always well within view of the Troop but out of earshot.

The SMs I've been associated with have done them whenever, wherever, understanding that there will be times when it may not be "right now" but will be very shortly. Always within view of others. Boards of Review are also done at the drop of a hat.

To be honest, I've never heard of one done at a Scout's house until now. Even the AOLers were at the meeting where they earned it as part of the ceremony/process. That took awhile with a larger den, but those cubs were willing to wait because it was a big thing.

Vicki

SM conferences were one of my very favorite parts of being SM. I let the fellows know that conferences were always available on campouts. This was my preferred location. I would never do conferences during meetings. If a fellow needed a conference and missed a campout, I'd usually invite him over to my place on a Sunday afternoon. Usually we'd sit in lawn chairs under a big ol' pecan tree. For one especially active fellow, we actually held the conference up in the tree.

Modifying my answer a little bit - during meetings, no. Didn't really occur to me that you'd do one during the meeting...before and after, yes. Before, usually only with prior arrangement since that's when the SPL/SM are dealing with details.

And campouts are always the preferred place.

Vicki(This message has been edited by Vicki)

I tried to do them as soon as possible. I did them before, after and during meetings. I once did one at a soccer practice for a scout who was leaving town for a couple weeks. I did a couple while hiking in Philmont and did an Eagle SM Conference while walking during a 12 hour overnight Walk To Man Kind Cancer fund raiser. Ive done them in the Scouts house and in mine. Done a few in cars and once did one over the phone for a scout who wasnt even in my Troop.

For me however, just having the opportunity to just sit and talk with a scout could sometimes be a SM Conference. A long drive to a camp can lead to many interesting discussions. The CC once told me that the scout for which they had just completed a BOR couldnt really point out the specific SM Conference for his rank because we always talked.

I guess you can set specific times and locations, but you may risk missing out on some great conferences.

Great memories.

I love this Scouting Stuff.

Barry

I agree with Barry, but I also agree with Ed. I'm rather paranoid about doing them at my home, or even the Scouts' home, in these days of YP!!

This is wholly different when I was a youth member, and my Scoutmasters house and family was a friendly place :)

Well if I was keeping score, up the Pecan tree would be the winner for "Most Unusual Location" ROTFL. My schedule puts me at our meeting place 30 minutes early every week, and our treasurer also arrives at about this time. I always make it clear that if a scout needs to talk to me about anything (or have a SMC) that he can meet me at that time, but of course it is best to confirm this first.

I have had a few talks with scouts, and sometimes they were surprised that I signed off on the SMC, but like many of you, getting to know the scouts is what it is about.

Likewise, I knew a SM who would only conduct a SMC if the scout was in a complete uniform. He was very adept at working with youth, and had a real passion for his job. I appreciate his good intentions, but I believe it caused more than one misunderstanding. I encourage scouts to wear the appropriate "uniform of the day," but it is never a requirement. On the other hand, our troop now meets with almost everyone in a complete uniform, which is good, so this had never been an issue.

Campouts, I agree are one of the best opportunities to have a SMC, and as I build a rapport with my scouts (not boys, btw), I will encourage them to seek me out during this time.

Barry, good point. My soon-to-be (Monday) Life Scout's SM conference was, "You know, Jon, we talk a lot since you're an ASPL so I have a pretty good idea of who you are as a scout. What do you plan to do with the troop as a Life Scout? How do you like the way things are going?" That was it. Paraphrased, since I didn't actually hear the short conversation, but talked to both parties afterward as it came up in our own conversations about other things.

Vicki

A couple of my pet peeves - Scoutmaster conference requests via email, requests for conferences by the Scout's parent(s), being interrupted by a Scout to ask for a Scoutmaster conference and requests for a conference during a troop meeting.

Reasons

Scouts need to be comfortable contacting adults on the phone or in person - talk to them - instead of via a one way form of communication - email. Also, I know that I've received emails from parents posing as the Scout.

Scouts should also be taught politeness (i.e. be helpful, kind & courteous) and respect my time and his fellow Scouts during troop meetings. During a troop meeting, my efforts are focused on mentoring the youth leaders. Also, the Scout should have a focus during the troop meeting. I've really seen way too many parents and Scouts who are focused only on advancement and not the real aims of Scouting.

I've had a Scout come up to me right after a troop meeting, while I was talking to another Scout, and have him exclaim, "You have to give me a Scoutmaster conference now." I calmly explained to Scout, no I do not and second, I - like most individuals - respond better to requests than demands.

So, after I get that off my chest I let you know what I tell the boys - the best place to conduct a Scoutmaster conference is during an outing. At most outings, there is plenty of downtime or at least time for me and the Scout to get together without taking away from his patrol or troop. Second, I can gladly meet with the Scout on a non-troop meeting or non-PLC evening or weekend for a conference. I don't have pre-arranged times because I want the Scout to initiate the contact/request.(This message has been edited by acco40)

acco, (off-topic rant coming) as a Communications MB counselor, I try my darndest to hammer home the message that e-mail is not the be-all and end-all to communication and neither is texting. There are very specific situations in which e-mail is NOT appropriate and trying to schedule something with one or two other people is a spectacular example that I use regularly.

Don't get me started on the parent who is "working with" three of the scouts (not in my troop) to get the Comm MB "done" so that they can meet with me. Answer is no - if they want to nominate one of their number to call me, that's fine, but I don't want to hear from a parent.

Vicki

Vicki,

I don't think this is too off topic. If you like, spin off another thread. Regardless, I agree that email and texting are not the end-all, be-all of communications. But they are not without merit.

We transmit much information via email, but much is a followup of what we have already discussed with the scouts a week or more before, calendar and event reminders, deadlines, etc. Email is great for transmitting documents or small masses of information to many people at once.

I am working on my scouts phone etiquette, as it is obvious they lack basic skills. Frequently I will get a call from a scout who, as soon as I pick up and answer the phone, begins directly into a question or some such, with neither an identification of who they are or a basic greeting.

I will be working through upcoming training to include some simple but basic instructions on phone etiquette. This will fit in with the ideas that we are working our phone trees more and the PLs will be expected to communicate more effectively with their patrol members.

I don't, however feel that the SMC should be sidelined by a communications lesson, and as tempted as it may be to discuss this when I have the scout in front of me, there is a better time and place for this.

Buffalo S, I think we're talking somewhat at cross purposes, but that's OK, happens all the time in e-mailed communications.

My experience has been that scout contacts me via e-mail wanting to schedule something for the next day - oops, next day arrived, I haven't responded to the e-mail. That's the communications lesson - call me. Handle it in five minutes or less instead of e-mailing back and forth interminably.

"Sidelining the conference for a communications lesson." Not my point, nor is it my goal - but I think you were directing that at Acco. I happen to agree with him that instruction on basic etiquette may be in order as you proceed with the SM conference (assuming it's a reasonable time to have it). As you note, there are a lot of pieces of etiquette that are missing from some of the scouts I work with - not necessarily blaming parents, at a certain point some young men seem to stop listening to their parents and need the point reinforced by others.

Yep, e-mail is good for mass communication - my example was scheduling between one or two people. I also try to help them understand when e-mail is appropriate.

Hope this clarifies things,

Vicki(This message has been edited by Vicki)