Functional Troop Buglers

Ok, I started this maybe I ought to not commandeer another thread.

Some summer camps use a camp bugler at the flag ceremonies. While this is a nice fluff touch to the ceremony, it really doesn't mean it functionally fits the situation. Most camps play either "Assembly" or "To the Colors", but of which are meant to call the boys TO the ceremony. Why are they playing the call when the boys are already there?

The second issue is what happens when a troop wishes to communicate to their boys? Now one has a number of troop buglers playing calls and when those camps are but a few hundred feet apart, which call is for which troop? It was suggested that whistles be used to send signals. I thought that if one has a functional bugler, that would fit the POR better than a Troop Whistler.

I do Civil War reenacting and when thousands of soldiers take the field these bugle calls are imperative for moving them around during the day. In order to distinguish one group from another there is usually a 4-5 note prelude to the call. This way the boys know which troop is sounding a call, then they listen to the call and they know what to do. A second prelude could be used if one wished a particular patrol to do something as well. Troop call -> patrol call -> Assembly. Then X patrol from Troop XX will gather up. Everyone else can ignore the call. It really works and works great!

Capt. Stosh

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A budget bugle can be found for $20 to $40, maybe even less. I'm a brass player, and I've seen them sold by my favorite online source, Woodwind/Brasswind.

But -- a trumpet is a bugle (in the "harmonic series" sense). It just has some added valves. And although I'm not a Drum and Bugle Corps expert, the bugles they use have valves too (with some kind of limitation I don't understand).

So, the bottom line is that all bugles calls can be played on a trumpet or cornet (open; or with a valve combination depressed, in a different key).

There is a single pamphlet for both Music and Bugling merit badges that lists a bunch of bugle calls.

Side note: Music MB is very straightforward for a young instrumentalist to do (I'm a counselor), if you'd like to encourage him to check it out.

Guy

Shortridge,

Yes, I would agree that a whistle would be difficult to come up with a "tune" and would sound more like Morse Code in order to be effective. The range of the whistle would not be as good as the bugle's. I would think that the bugle call could be heard pretty much throughout the camp, barring no wind, obstacles, etc. that would deflect/absorb the sound. 1/2 mile is not out of the question.

Buffalo,

The tune you might be referring to is what I call the prelude. A very short 4-5 melody that would signal everyone that a bugle call is forthcoming. If the boy recognizes it as his troop's "tune"/prelude then he continues to listen otherwise he ignores what comes next. If there is a second patrol "tune"/prelude same thing applies, then the bugler sounds the call (what you call the instruction). That doesn't mean that the bugler has to play only the standard calls, i.e. Assembly, Mess Call, Church Call, To the Colors, but can make up whatever he wants, just so long as the boys in his troop know what it is he's communicating.

My suggestion would be for your trumpet player to just use his trumpet, it works just fine for a bugle. Otherwise, they have hundreds of bugles both BSA and non-BSA on sale on E-Bay for less than $100 depending on condition of the instrument. Get the Bugling/Music MB book, or the Learn the Bugle in 5 Minutes that was used back in the early days of Scouting to teach the boys. I got mine off of E-Bay. If the boy actually does play trumpet the title is a true statement. If he doesn't play a brass instrument, I'll guarantee you he will not learn the bugle in 5 minutes.

Once the boy has mastered and memorized the calls, he then needs to teach the boys of his troop what they mean so that when they hear them they know the message being sent. He can make up his troop prelude on his own and teach that as well. If any or all of the patrols want a prelude he can create them as well. After the boys have learned to identify the call they then have to know what the call means. Assembly - gather up your patrol/troop (depending on the prelude) and get ready for the next call, you are being called together for some reason that will be announced in the next few minutes. Once the bugler thinks the boys have had enough time to gather, he plays Mess Call - time to eat, Church Call - head for the chapel, To the Colors - head for the flag ceremony, etc.

Bugling is a great tool for larger units that have boys spread out all over camp. A good bugler will know the time it takes to execute the call. If everyone is spread out all over camp and they need to assemble in the campside, Troop prelude -> Assembly will gather all the patrols in the campsite or patrol designated area for assembly. He then waits the time he thinks the patrols have accomplished this and then the next call. The time of waiting will be a lot less if the boys are in and around the campsite anyway, but those out in the woods getting firewood will get the message and return to camp. Assembly might also be used to gather up the boys and get their uniforms on before heading out for Mess Call or To the Colors.

What is interesting is that in the Civil War (about the last time the military really used functional buglers) they were able to direct 1,000 men per regiment right down to Forward March, Rise up, Lie Down, Halt, every command a commander might wish to give to the men all at the same time. It's also interesting in light of the war setting, ALL the officers had to be able to sound the bugle calls as well as the bugler in case he was killed or wounded. It would be the same today if someone killed the squad radioman. All communications come to a screeching halt. In Civil War reenacting, once one learns the regimental bugle calls, they also have to learn the drum calls which regulate every action in the company right down to when to pull the trigger.

I am senior captain in my regiment and I often take on the role of regimental adjutant and the very first thing I do when I hit the reenactment site is run around and find my functional buglers and drummers. They are a gift from god! I would dearly love to have a truly functional bugler in my troop!

Stosh

I was asking about the cost of a bugle because I do have a scout who owns and plays the trumpet. In fact, he told me he was working on figuring out bugle calls. I know his parents and I do not think they would like him to bring his silver trumpet on a campout. A "cheap" bugle would probably be good for him.

From the moment he told me he was working out bugle calls, I have wanted to talk to him about it, but the last two weeks of meetings have been filled Webelos visitors.

I just now looked up the Bugling MB requirements online. I will talk to him and drop a hint about the MB, but I will have to find a counselor. I'll be that his band teacher may be able to help out...

I did a search on line and found this: http://www.scoutbugle.com/index.html

It looks like a bugle can be had for a lot less than a trumpet. The most expensive on this site is $69. It seems that it is a lot easier to find a bugler if the troop provides the bugle. I am not a horn player and I cannot personally vouch for this site or the instruments they sell but it looks legit. Good luck.

"I do not think they would like him to bring his silver trumpet on a campout"

Understood, and it makes sense -- but :-)

With many young musicians, serious ones most likely, they have two instruments. One that they use for marching band season, and one that's used for concert band. The marching band one that sees all the action on muddy football fields is sometimes the student-model instrument they played in elementary and middle school. The concert band instrument is sometimes a "step-up" or pro-level model instrument, and, at least in my case, virtually never sees use during marching band season.

BTW, and I'm not trying to be a wise guy here, but "silver" is most likely nickel-plated, and isn't always an indication of value or worth. There are brand-new $200+ student models (ranging up to $1000+) and pro models are, maybe, $1500 and up. Step-up models, which have few fans among experienced trumpeters, range through that middle ground, average price of maybe $900 or so. Some pro trumpeters have been gravitating towards unfinished brass instruments for a long while (but it hasn't caught on with everyone).

(I bought a student model trumpet for my youngest, about 3 months ago).

The the Colors is the bugle equivalent of the National Anthem an is appropriate to play that when the flag is raised or lowered. To The Colors should be accorded all the honors of the National Anthem.

Our current bugler is a first year trumped player. If you know what Assembly is supposed to sound like, you can pick out a few note now and again that will suggest to you what he's playing. Generally, when you hear the bugle, that means you should do whatever it is that you're supposed to be doing at the time -- wake up, meet at the flag pole, go to sleep, whatever.

Virginia Tech has a really good web site with the music and c3po files (whatever) so you can hear what the call sounds like. Go to

http://www.music.vt.edu/musicdictionary/appendix/buglecalls/Buglecallslist.html

Now if you really want to have fun, get a troop piper. Bagpipe were used in the British military like bugles. Difference is that instead of short, distinct "calls" pipers play entire tunes for specific things. Each regiment, and sometimes piper, plays different tunes to call the troops to different functions. You have to know that the Scots Guard plays Cock O' the North for assembly. (I'm just making that up as an example -- our piper can quote chapter and verse.)

Bugles are realy cheap. The mouthpiece is more important than the bugle itself. The old BSA mouthpieces were terrible. The newer military bugles are better.. I used the $100 price originally because in order to get an easy playing bugle one may need to go a bit up in the price. I know a gentleman who bought a 1860's military bugle (bigger than modern bugles, mellow tone) that plays better than any other bugle he owns. It's lower in pitch by virtue of being a bigger bugle. Cavalry carried smaller bugles that were more difficult to play and infantry had the luxury of larger, easier horns.

I picked up a pristine silver BSA Rexcraft bugle for $90 at an antique shop that sits on my display case and a second brass Conn modern military bugle in fair shape, needs to be relaquered, but no dents, slide works just fine mouthpiece is 100% better for $55 at another antique shop. I also have the short 1858 British duty bugle that plays a lot better than I thought it would for $30. Be careful of the short 1858 BDB's because many of them can be difficult to play especially with a poor mouthpiece. They are more display pieces than actually expected to be played.

Stosh

jblake: At my Troop summer camp, we had four patrols and our various activity areas spaced out thru about ten acres of woods. The Troop bugler served a real purpose and the Troop leadership insisted in it.

Check out the thread "Taking a Poll - Bugling"

"http://www.scouter.com/forums/viewThread.asp?threadID=213241&p=1"?

It totally depends on SOMEONE being willing to bugle and SOMEONE encouraging them and using that resource.

I think it would be cool to see functional buglers at campouts and summercamp. Might even be fun for the boys too, we'd have to try it and see.

Most trumpets play the bugle notes without using the valves. Downside is some of the notes are high, and fast. You can't take a first year trumpet player and expect them to play bugle calls perfect, but that's OK, as I'd rather try and have fun, than not try.

I attended a funeral this morning for a veteran. There was an Army bugler playing taps. I could not get a good look at his bugle, but it was silver and larger than the "cavalry" ones of which we often think. As a veteran myself, I would have apporached him following the service, but I was traveling with co-workers and did not have the time.

He skill on the instrument was exquisite, and its tone was wonderful. Most moving.

Buffalo,

Bugles come in all shapes, forms and sizes. The larger bugles play more like a flugelhorn, a deeper richer tone rather than the brilliance of a cornet or even a high ranged trumpet. Our company bugler has one of these larger bugles and when the high school kids play taps at memorial day with a trumpet it's really nice. But when our bugler plays at the other ceremonies with this infantry bugle, it's, well, just WOW! Sends chills up and down one's spine. There's a big difference and it's just the instrument being used. When we do the ceremony for the CW veterans that were part of the unit we represent, he plays "Lights Out" which is the last bugle call of the day during the Civil War, it's really moving. he tune is prettier than traditional "Taps" used today. "Taps" that was played at the end of "Lights Out" was played on the drum,... Duh! :^D

SSScout!!!?

Is your bugler available hiring out so others can reap the benefit of his art? Like I said, the most valuable scout is the bugler!!! If you've never had one, you have no idea what you're missing!

Stosh