Eagle Court for Nine

I just wanted to share with my friends here on Scouter.com, that this coming Saturday, I will have the distinct honor of presenting the Eagle Scout award to NINE young men from our troop. That's right - NINE! This will be the largest Eagle Court of Honor I've ever witnessed.

These nine fellows joined our troop in 2002 and 2003 and have had some pretty terrific adventures together. I was lucky enough to serve as their Scoutmaster for three of those years.

Look out world!

I think I have to agree with Gern about dilution. There is a distinction that is special to each Eagle Scout. Generational legacy, overcoming particular hardships (like learning to swim when deathly afraid, or any similar thing) but rather simply that earning Eagle is an individual accomplishment.

However, nine separate ECOH's would take an awful lot of energy!(This message has been edited by Eagle1977)

Nine separate Courts of Honor would be insane. Not to mention all the work and planning, by about the 4th one, the troop members and families would be saying, "Oh God, not another one!"

I would do the nine at once and have it as big a shindig as I could. Lots of publicity, photos, etc. Invite as many dignitaries as you can. A perfect forum for showing off Scouting in a positive light.

Let your local news media know, too. We live in a Charlotte NC suburb, so that's our MAIN paper, but the small towns have their own papers. (That's one of the challenges I gave our new Activities Chair, to get us in a paper. ANY paper.)

Nine new Eagle Scouts is certainly newsworthy.

We have at least a dozen in our troop sitting on Life that have been there for some time.......my son being one of them. They all seem pretty complacent for now. If/when they finish up, there will be combined COH's for them. The troop has gotten big enough and produces enough Eagles that the committee decided to combine the Eagle COH's with our regular COH's. I don't like that as I see it as a dilution. I understand WHY they made the decision they did, but I feel that a boy making Eagle is a singular distinction worthy or singular attention. What this decision does is it forces the boy to have his Eagle COH at the charter on a specified date as opposed to having it at a place and date of hiss choosing. If you have grandparents or family out of state who want to come, it makes it difficult for them. On the other hand, 5 or 6 Eagle COH's in addition to our regular COH's 3 or 4 times a year gets to a saturation point where attendance at the Eaglee COH's drops off.

Congratulations to these young men. "The Eagle Scout plans his own ceremony." I remember this from my son's Eagle COH. If these young men and their families want to combine into one ceremony, more power to them. Make sure you have a big enough hall! I hope you get great, positive press coverage.

Is this a greater accomplishment for these nine scouts than the scout from a troop who was the only eagle that year?

I'm not seeing the connection. For me, whether you earned your Eagle with eight friends, or did it alone, the award and its significance should be equal to the scout.

Now I can see the troop and its leaders getting some accolades for producing 9 Eagles at a time. That's pretty impressive.

Oh Please Gern must you look for insult in everything.

-- there was not any reference or indication that the nine were better than one. Trevorum is proud (as he should be) of the nine boys he worked with and it is a testament to him and to their familys' to have 9 boys who elected to go the distance. Once again CONGRATULATIONS Trevorum you have every right to feel proud and honored. It is great to see they have elected to have a ECOH many in our area do not --

You will have lots of great storie to share about their adventures.

However, nine separate ECOH's would take an awful lot of energy!

We had 12 earn Eagle in the last year. Seven still need ECOH's. I'm glad some are combined (brothers, best friends). Scheduling them can become a challenge, conflict free dates are hard to come by. But finding a date that also works for out of town guests would be a major downside of a combined ECOH--although if scheduled far enough in advance it should be okay. I must say, it is a good problem to have.