Den Chief Service Award

I think the difference is that the DCSA is already different from other jobs in the Troop. DC is the only job that has a specific set of requirements for a special award that is worn for the rest of the time the boy is a Scout. SPL for instance serves for the length of time the troop decides and then the next Scout takes on the job. The DC is dedicating a year at least to the Cub program. All the positions of leadership for the boys are to teach and challenge them, but DC is not an easy job and a good chief can directly influence boys joining a Troop in the future.

CalicoPenn,

That was the answer I was expecting. But prehaps I missed making the point. Assuming the scout completes the requirements (finishes the year with the Webelos den), would you submit the award and surprise him or talk to him about it and have him follow up on it for himself? Yes there is the argument that we do not submit scouts' rank requirements for them, but I see ranks as one beast and awards as quite another. I am not necessarily opposed to either view, I was just looking for some perspective.

Back to the meat and potatos of the thread, I can see the argument for this to be made into a knot to be worn as an adult. But I dont really think that is appropriate here. There are some much more prestigious awards like the Ranger, which is certainly more involved than Eagle, but is not represented by a knot. Similar arguments can be made for the Quest, Trust or Denali awards, yet none of these offer an accompanying knot.

(side note: the Ranger award used to have a knot, but that award was discontinued in 1951, and what is now offered is not the same award, though arguably is comperable).

Having been both a SPL and DC I think the DC job is more difficult. It can be hard to get peers to follow your lead since they are of similar age. Being an SPL means that you have several peers that are your assistants: ASPL, PL, APL. That makes the job easier because now you have an entire group of scouts that are taking charge of a troop. As DC you are the only scout that is taking any charge of a den or pack. The only fellow leaders you have are adults. Being the only youth that has any "authority" can be quite daunting. I remember it was for me. I had to work harder to get the Cubs to follow my lead.

The position also requires a year of service which is longer than most scouts are in troop positions. SPL does not have several projects that have to be completed like the DC does for this award.

I don't think that scouts will want the DC Service Award so that they can have the knot when their adults. They aren't thinking that far ahead. The people who will want it are those who are already adults and remember the service they provided and the work they put into their pack or den. I don't see why those people can't receive a little recognition for what they've done as a youth.

Buffalo,

Now I see the dual interpretations of the question - and it's an interesting conundrum.

The requirements for the award are listed in the Den Chief's Handbook. The handbook assumes that a Scout will actively work towards earning the Den Chief Service Award. The first thing the requirements state is that before beginning work on the award, the Scout should discuss with the Den Leader and his Scoutmaster, Varsity Coach, Venturing Adviser or Cubmaster the importance of the Den Chief.

However, one could argue that such a discussion has likely taken place when the Scout first becomes a Den Chief.

Looking over the requirements, it doesn't seem unreasonable to anticipate that a Scout could earn the award just through regular interaction and participation as a Den Chief without having to deliberately work toward earning it. If that's the case, then I can see how a Scout might have earned the award without knowing he did so. If a CM, DL, SM, VC or VA is sharp and has kept track on their own, I don't see any reason why the Scout couldn't be surprised at a Court of Honor, or Blue and Gold Dinner (or end of year Pack Meeting) with the Den Chief Service Award. So yeah, if the Scout has earned it and doesn't know it - by all means, award it to him.

On the other hand, if it will help motivate a Scout to see the requirements, then that should be done as well.

I'd like to suggest, however, that in any case, if the Lad has earned the award, it be presented to him first at a Blue and Gold or Pack Meeting then acknowledged at a Court of Honor. Even though its a Boy Scout award, it's the result of the service he's provided to the Pack, and it seems much more appropriate for his first recognition to be in front of the lads in his Den, and their parents. I'd also suggest that the Scoutmaster and SPL be part of the ceremony when awarding the DCSA.

"There are some much more prestigious awards like the Ranger, which is certainly more involved than Eagle, but is not represented by a knot. Similar arguments can be made for the Quest, Trust or Denali awards, yet none of these offer an accompanying knot."

Being 'prestigious' is not a reason for a knot.

AOL, Eagle, Venturing Silver, and Quartmaster have knots because they are the highest awards of their programs.

Ranger, Quest, Trust, Denali, et al are NOT.

Don't confuse the current Venturing Ranger award with the old Explorer Scout Ranger Award. The ES Ranger Award got a knot because it was the highest award of that program.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Calico said, "I'd like to suggest, however, that in any case, if the Lad has earned the award, it be presented to him first at a Blue and Gold or Pack Meeting then acknowledged at a Court of Honor. Even though its a Boy Scout award, it's the result of the service he's provided to the Pack, and it seems much more appropriate for his first recognition to be in front of the lads in his Den, and their parents. I'd also suggest that the Scoutmaster and SPL be part of the ceremony when awarding the DCSA."

Question for you, my son has fulfilled the requirements for the DCSA. The boys in the den he worked with have all bridged to the Troop. So would it be appropriate for him to receive the award at our next CoH? Then the boys he has worked with officially for 1+ more years (and unofficially for 3 years)would see him receive it! The CoH is next month.

In case you haven't guessed, I've been the DL or ADL for 4 of the years and was a volunteer for their tiger year.

Hi Luvtahike and welcome to the forum.

I think it would be terrific to award the DC award at your next Court of Honor - don't forget the group photo of him and "his" newly crossed over Scouts.

I don't have an opinion on the square knot issue. I will say, however, that older son received the service award rope and wore it until he was 21 - he worked on summer camp staff and wore it with the Venturing Uniform. Now, as an almost 23 year old camp staffer and ASM with our Troop, he still says he wishes he could wear it. He prizes that award over his Eagle.

Younger son has also served as a Den Chief for two years and has earned the service award. It will be presented to him at our next Court of Honor, along with the 100 nights of camping award. Both will be surprises to him.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi GWD Scouter and thanks for the welcome!

Well, my son got his Den Chief Service Award tonight! It was great as he had no idea. He also got 3 eagle req. MB's and star rank. It was a great night!

Unfortunately, 2 of the newly crossed boys left right away and I was unable to get a picture but will get one at the next meeting. Thanks for the suggestion about the picture. That is a great idea.