10 animals & 10 Plants - In a Museum?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The requirements are listed for each rank. That is what must be completed by each Scout to advance. The rest of the book is nothing more than reference material to be used if the Scout wants to. The requirements are not redefined in the rest of the handbook!

Everything anyone reads is an interpretation, the very act of reading is one of interpretation. That does not mean that there are not correct and incorrect interpretations to everything.

Excellent point, Bob. So why are all of your interpretations correct?

All you Scout Leaders need to S T O P

SHOW: Point out, name things as you go along, talk about SEEING rather than merely LOOKING. Demonstrate that skill. Help them to realize your enthusiasm.

TEACH: As a Leader (adult or otherwise), by definition you have superior knowledge. Impart it. Gently allow the Scout to gain from your experience, not by pounding it in but by oozing it out for him to soak up.

OBSERVE: Watch the Scout. Can he use the new knowledge? Is there an "aha!" for him? Can you help him to improve his skill or recognition? Carefully point out how he can improve. Allow him to take pride in his new skill or knowledge.

PRACTICE: Give your Scout opportunities to try out his abilities, to gain better utility at the skill. Take him out. Allow him to make mistakes and find out what happens (G2SS in place!).

THEN comes the test, passing the requirement is LAST in the process. And always, ALWAYS, the Scout must pass the requirement BY SOMEONE'S JUDGEMENT. Somebody besides the Scout "signs off" on it, yes? And after all, the Scout is gonna know if HE really passed it or not, anyway, isn't he?

Yeah, he can read the book and practice on his own. It is possible and done all the time, but then why have Senior Scouts or Scoutmasters or Merit Badge Counsellors? The book can give the Scout some of what he needs, but that's not what I think Scoutings about.

I fear the previous discussion has left out THAT part of the equation in the rush.

Identifying animals in a museum? Great place to learn what to look for. Then take that knowledge outside and see what you can find. I have not seen a horned lizard (Horney toad to most) in the wild in 20 years. Started to see the signs that they should be on the return so I showed my son what to look for. In the middle of a large city (on a scout reservation) he saw a horned lizard. He called to others who had cameras and they managed to get photos of the lizard. Most doubted him until he showed them. He had learned to watch for the correct environment and signs to find this elusive critter. This is what the requirement is trying to teach: how not to miss something rare and enjoying the thril of find it. (Luck him! I am still hoping to see one again soon.)