10 animals & 10 Plants - In a Museum?

NJ Scouter writes "I don't think the rabbit counts as one of the 10 for the requirement. It says "identify and show evidence".

Unless NJ has a very different Handbook his quote in incorrect.

The Boy Sout Requirement says Indentify or show evidence."

If you read the handbook beyond the requirement page (page91 to be specific) you see that the handbook explains ways that the scout can find evidence of the animal. One of those ways is by track identification.

It's important to read the entire handbook.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really was not looking for or expecting an apology, I was explaining the requirement and showing the importance of reading beyond the requirements page.

The handbook explains what needs to be done or can be done to learn the skill and to to pass the requirement. I think your error wasan easy one to make and probaly very common when the focus is on the requirements pages and not on the skill itself as it is explained in the Handbook.

No apology was needed.

I've mad mistakes NJ, and I have always apologized for them. It's a personal choice. I did not ask for an apology or expect one. All I was interested in was folks understanding the reqiuirement and that they have to read other pages besides the requirement pages of the Handbook. We are seeing the same thing in a post from Kudu in another thread. He read the requirement and not the handbook and has misrepresented what it means..

Even though you misread the requirement, had you been famililar with the content of the handbook on that topic do you think you would have made the same error?

I am guessing by your handle you are a Cub Scoutleader so I wouldn't expect that you have had reason to read the Boy Scout Handbook. But Don't you think that to discuss the Boy Scout requirements it makes sense to know how the handbook explains the requirement and teaches the skill?

My point was not personal and I am sorry that you took it that way. My point was the need to read the handbook beyond the requirements page in order to understand it. At least you are in a another program so it makes sense that you would not need to be as familiar whith this Handbook, but believe me there are scouters who have been Boy Scout Leaders for years, even some on this forum, who do not read past the requirements pages.

One must always remember the regardless of what is read, the interpretation of the requirements is just that, an interpretation. The requirements still stand as the requirements and the directive is to neither add to or detract from them. Obviously there are those who do read it all and still conclude that's what's best for their boys may involve mileage that varies. Just remember an ax is an ax, whether it is used to cut wood or a weapon, the ax remains the same. If a SM asked a boy to retrive an ax and he returns with a battle ax, it's not the boy's fault, he did what was necessary to carry out the task. End of discussion. If someone wishes to make more of an issue than what was done, it is merely adding to the situation.

Stosh

IMO, the Scoutmaster interprets the requirements and enforces them as he sees fit. Hopefully it is keeping with what was intended by BSA. To me "in the community" includes the campsite we are at even if it's not near where we live. Another SM might interpret it differently though. I tend to look at requirements in a practical way, other have a more strict interpretation.

Bob, I have been a Troop Committee Member for more than five years. I never changed my account name when my son crossed over. And by the way, I have read that portion of the handbook (and I never said otherwise) and I have passed boys on this requirement. I think I know enough about it. The one word I got wrong would be relevant only in a situation where a boy tries to pass part of the requirement on his own, simply by writing in his book -- which I have never seen happen. The boys in our troop, and the adults, seem to mutually understand that the Scout needs to identify the animal, or show the evidence, to someone. I think that makes sense.

It's not about the word as I said NJ that was a simple mistake, I was addressing that some leaders never read the handbook beyond the requirements pages and because of that they do not understand the requirement.

Forget the error on the words "or/and" NJ, if you knew that using the tracks was acceptable then why did you say I was wrong? You focused on what you thought the requirement was rather than what the Handbook explained the skill to be. You looked no further than the requirements page and determined I was wrong.

And that was my point. Folks need to read the Handbook not just the requirements.