Signing Off on Rank Advancement Requirements

Thanks everyone for your input - it's exactly what I was looking for and expecting.

To answer a couple of the points made - I did indeed check the Scoutmaster Handbook and read the section pointed out by Bob White. After reading Mr. White's response, I read the SMH again - I guess it's a matter of perspective or frame of mind when you are reading. I don't like to "interpret" what's written, but I guess that the frame of reference where I was coming from (the Troop making up the rules) I saw that section to be a list of possibilities, instead of a list of authorized personnel. I guess it's a lot like someone sending an email, or writing a well-intentioned post that the reader mistakes for sarcasm :)

The "unworkable" situation in our Troop is this - the previous Troop rules stated that any Scout who had successfully attended Council JLT could sign off on rank requirements for Scout through 1st Class (except for Scout Spirit and SM Conference of course). We used to send 3 to 5 Scouts to JLT every year. When the switch was made to NYLT, it was explained to us that NYLT was essentially for incoming SPLs and units should not be sending as many Scouts as before (this has since been revised by council). As a result, I'm down to the last 2 Scouts who actually attended JLT and they will have aged out by next summer.

I did miss the section from the advancement guide however (must have a page missing in my book) and after reading the post, I do remember seeing it before. With everyone's suggestions and comments I think I now have an idea on how to proceed.

Thanks again.

Remember that if you are using the New Scout Patrol, that while you would not have the patrol leader test and sign off on requirements you can use the Troop Guides and the Assistant Scoutmaster for New Scout Patrols do it.

Patrol Leaders could do the testing for ranks below their own in their patrols, and then of course you could use the other Assistant Scoutmasters a well.

• 1 month later...

In our Troop we have a few guidlines for this, but basically Scouts can sign off. We're a small troop with nine boys and seven adults. Three of the adults have been through SM training. So having the boys teach and test has been a BIG help.

The scout must have been trained on "How to Teach" and "How to Test". We do this every time we do Youth Leader Training every six months. Youth Leader Training is done the week after Troop elections.

The scout must be at least at least at that rank to sign off for that rank. So a Tenderfoot Scout can sign off a Tenderfoot requirement. The TF cannot sign off a 2nd Class Requirment.

The Scout cannot sign off anything for a family member; brother or cousin. We even have a 14 year scout who is an uncle to a 11 year old scout.

No Scout may sign off requirements for Star, Life or Eagle.