Cub Advance-O-Ree

We are looking at working on the requirement Cooking and Eating. One of the things that we need to do is

g. With an adult, cook something outdoors.

I need some suggestions for easy foil meals for the boys to make.

I was thinking about foil burgers, but does anyone else have any other suggestions.

We will most likely be using charcoal for the fire and of course tongs for the adult to retrieve the food.

Any other meal suggestions???

I think GW's comment needs atttention. Your working name for your activity "Advance-a-ree" does sound like a MBU.

But CS and BS activities do this all the time. The difference is the advancement is a CONSEQUENCE of the activity, not the GOAL. We camp and hike and go and do stuff, and the advancement happens. Well, yeah, we may design the activity to lead to rank requirement fulfillment("Jesse can be cook so he can meet his FC requirement"), but it is not there purely for requirement meeting.

Cub Scout Day Camp is designed for fun and involvement and sure, wolf, bear and Web requirements are met. We even provide a page at the end of camp that lists the rank requirements that may have been met by whatever activities that were held. We also note that the rank requirements met MAY depend on the Cub's participation, and that (" a Scout is Trustworthy"), the Cub leader should ask the Cub about how he met the requirement, what he did at the camp. It is not and should not be automatic. After all, the CSDC doesn't pass on or present the award, only the CS leader does that.

Where possible, utilize Boy Scouts to lead the activities, Den Chiefs especially. Let the adult leaders lay back and watch.

We have had "Cub Scout Field Days" where various Belt Loops can be earned thru playing Ultimate Frisbee, Marbles, Softball etc. and the boys have a blast. Their choice, and it is a family picnic, too.

So plan the "field day" or "day camp" or "Cub-a-ree" or "Salamagundee"

(look it up!), or "Cub Jambo", or whatever. Don't try to limit it only to Wolf or Bear, try to include all your Cubs, make'm feel included.

But don't make it an "Advancement" Day or such. The advancement should come from the fun, not the other way round.

I agree 100% with SSScout-

What your intention is is a great thing. Just be very careful what you wish for. It should be a fun day that happens to include opportunities to do things towards advancement.

Even if you do get your DE's approval - I would HIGHLY recommend making it mandatory for the cub to have an Akela along. Especially if any of the activities are going to include fire (i.e. cooking) or knives (i.e. whittling chip). If a cub burns or cuts themselves, its best that they do it under direct supervision of their own Akela, not some adult leader from another pack that the kid doesn't know.

Permission slips are a MUST - if something bad happens and you don't have them, good luck getting council or BSA to back you up.

You have a great intent and lots of KUDOS for thinking about taking on such a task - just remember Murphy's Law and the fact that he was an optimist :) You are building yourself a mighty big sanwhich and are getting ready to take a HUGE bite out of it.... make sure you have enough adults around to help you eat the whole thing.

Good luck.

some foil meal links...

http://www.macscouter.com/Cooking/FoilCook.pdf

http://www.djmorton.demon.co.uk/scouting/meals/foil.htm

as to what I'm personally had...

the hamburger with onions, carrots, peppers is good...

but what I think the boys will like the best is Simple Pizza Pockets.

take pita pockets (already sliced)

have pepperonis and canadian bacon or ham (all precooked meat so it's ok if it doesn't get cooked long enough)

add some pizza sauce

add some cheeze

and wrap in foil

only has to be in long enough to melt the cheese and toast up the bread a bit.

It's a great idea in thought, but the trick is to incorporate such things in a really fun environment, where the boys don't feel that they are going to "Cub Scout School" to "earn" things. If you incorporate the advancements in fun activities, the Scouts get the real benefit from the program without even knowing they did "requirements".

It's like I explain to Parents, Boys don't join Cub Scouts to learn Values, they come to have Fun. Our goal is to teach the the values in a fun way where they don't even realize that's what they have done.

As they say,

Keep it Fun, Make it Simple.