Cub Advance-O-Ree

I am thinking about setting up a small scale (2 Packs) Bear Cub Advance-O-Ree. I am looking at setting up about 4 stations.

I have some ideas. But I would like to see what everyone else thinks that I should set up to help the bears advance.

If this goes well I am going to try doing this for other ranks.

We have done something similar with belt loop nights during the summer. Setting up 3 choices and allowing the boys to choose 2 of the 3. Just be careful on time because I thought 2 hrs would be enough and we ended up needing 3 to get 2 belt loops covered well.

I am thinking about a similar event for after the holidays. Let us know what you learn from yours so we may benefit from your go at it.

Don't worry about the negative comments - anything you're willing to do for the boys is great! May sound a whole lot like a merit badge university but since cubs don't participate in this maybe something along those lines is needed in the cub program.

Keep up the enthusiasm!

Our district used to do a Cub Scout outdoor skills day. We had each troop run 1 or 2 stations, like round robin type, lunch was make your own foil dinner. We ran about 20 basic outdoor skills station, including one for each cub level.

Closing was done a a flag retirement ceremony.

Whittlin chip, knife safety and soap carving were always a bit hit

never did one of these but it sound interesting. and you made me dig out my son's old Bear book.

just in looking through here are some of my ideas: (hopefully requirements haven't changed since my son has bridged up)

5 - Sharing your world with wildlife - have a naturalist come. include building a birdhouse - boys love to build

7 - Law Enforcement - mainly why I mention it is because it's sometimes just feels bad to ask an officer to come speak to a small sized den. but if it's a big group I think it would be easier to get organized.

9 - cooking - depends on where you are and what you have available. even if they can't complete this whole requirement they could do a part of it for their snack time

11 - be ready - if your having a police officer there you could also have a fireman come and make it a safety fair

16 - muscles - since the boys love to move around so much mix this in

other things from requirements/electives... whitling chip and learning basic knots

I have had a little more interest that is shown. So I think that there may be a couple of different units coming to this. THey will all be from our county.

I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on the pitfalls to watch out for. Or what are some of the things that might be overlooked. If someone has a planning worksheet it would be great.

Thank you for the suggestions so far

Akela is also the Den leader.

But I guess what is being said is that I as the leader need to forget about this and work with my son and help him. Forget about the other boys earning ranks and having fun, just make sure my son gets his. Sounds kind of greedy to me.

There is no reason why I cannot help these boys along the way. Every parent is stretched for time right now, and if there is sommeone to help for 5 minutes, I am sure they appreciate it.

I am still moving forward with this Advance-o-ree day. even with all of those here who insist on trying to tell me I am wrong.

- Didn't mean for my last post to sound like I was criticizing your event...just that BSA is recognizing that parents aren't as involved in many cases for many reasons anymore, and that that's unfortunte.

- In our Council, we'd need District/Council approval in order to do anything that includes multiple packs.

- The hardest part about your event would to make sure that all the stations pretty much lasted about the same amount of time without losing the boys' attention. Just like with Pack and Den meetings...no down time if you can avoid it. Encourage whomever is running the stations to have "extra" stuff available to do in order to fill time if they finish early. Otherwise, the boys will be causing chaos for the other stations.

- Is this going to be a drop-off type thing, or will parents be around? What about siblings? Set expectations correctly ahead of time or else you'll be dealing with alot more than boys to manage.

Good luck!

Basement Dweller

Thank you, I did not think of that. I will contact my DE about that one.

If needed do you think a release should be signed before they partake in the bike riding, or should this be covered by the BSA insurance.

AL

I have had the issue of siblings come up in the past for our den meetings before, I will have to look into this little factor. As for the parents, I know that most of MY packs parents usually stay during the meetings and they will probably stay for something like this also. At least that is the drift that I am getting so far.

I am still learning and I thank you for those that have helped so far.

Have you thought about contacting your district's Cub Day Camp committee? They could probably help you think this out.

This would be a great thing to go to, I think, as long as people weren't relying on it to get reqs finished. If you are going to have parents come and use Scouts as instructors, be prepared for lots of "well-intentioned" suggestions about how the boys aren't prepared to teach cubs, etc.

Have fun!!