Eagle Badge question...

My son has made Eagle and we are now planning the COH. My quiestion is...can I go ahead and put the cloth badge on his uniform and have the ribbon medal presented at COH? How is the presentation of the kit done? SHould I leave everything in the kit?

Thanks!

We make the presentation of the badge, the medal, the certificate, the necerchief, etc all part of the ceremony.

I think you'd be watering down the rank if you didn't make the ceremony as much of a declaration as it can be.

Why not take off his Life rank and then attach it with velro (or a pin) then you can formally attach his Eagle Rank to his shirt as part of the ceremony?

How soon is the COH? If it is next week or within a couple weeks, wait until then and let him be dressed as a Life Scout to receive his Eagle.

If it is going to be months, put the patch on and let him be seen as an Eagle.

Oh, better yet, ask him what he wants. After all, it is his badge and his honor.

Respectfully, ChiefThundercloud, I disagree.

We insist on presenting T-L (patch) at the troop meeting immediately upon being signed off with the BoR. We then present the card in a more formal ceremony at the CoH (one to three months later).

I believe that once earned, the badge should be presented (at a troop meeting), and go through the formalities at the CoH. After all they are an Eagle Scout as soon as they pass their BoR. Why should we deny them the privilege of wearing the most significant rank they have earned?

But as GW says, let the boy decide what he wants.(This message has been edited by Buffalo Skipper)

It depends upon both the troop's tradition and your son's wishes. In some troops, mine was one of them, you were an "Eagle Candidate" until your COH. And this was used very jokingly with the New Eagles. Heck one guy had some fun with "Eagle Candidate" at his ECOH since he didn't have his ECOH until after coming back fromt eh USAF when he was 21. The ECOH was when you got everything; patch, medal, pins, certificate, etc.

In other troops you get the patch ASAP, but the medal and cert. at the ECOH. One of the troops in my area does this since they only have 1 ECOH each year on Scout Sunday.

And then you have those scouts who don't want ot make a big deal about it for whatever reason. had one of those who had his Eagle presented to him at the troops COH. Also had another who had everythign presented to him at a meeting. He was also leaving to go to bootcamp, so that may have been the reason for the hurry.

Again from the trusty "Advancement Committee Policies and Procedures" manual:

"Four Steps of Advancement

1. The Boy Scout learns. ....

2. The Boy Scout is tested. ....

3. The Boy Scout is reviewed. ....

4. The Boy Scout is recognized. When the board of review has certified a boys advancement, he deserves to receive recognition as soon as possible. This should be done at a ceremony at the next troop meeting. The certificate for his new rank may be presented later at a formal court of honor."

How do you present a rank patch immediately following a BOR? The process here is that you have to file the paper work with council before you can get a rank patch for a Scout.

Does an Eagle Scout have to wait until the paperwork comes back from National before he gets his rank patch if the troop is of the sort that awards the rank patches as soon as possible, the next meeting or campout... ?

Thanks

You are all so very helpful! I thank you and am so pleased there is a place to ocme to for questions like these.

I will put the patch on the shirt now and save the rest fot the COH which will most likely be in January...mid Dec if we can do it, but that is doubtful. I know my son is anxious to wear his Eagle Badge. He is attending a merit badge weekend this weekend to work on his Palms and next weekend to mentor his young troop. He will be staying in scouting until he graduates...he is only a sophomore now.

I really appreciate the help!

ACP&P #33088 (2007 printing) Page 33:

"THe Eagle Award must not be sold or given to any unit until after the certificate is received by the Council Service Center. The Eagle Scout court of honor should not be scheduled until after the local council receives the Eagle Scout credentials."

When the Scout gets his Eagle packet, next meeting, give him the patch. That's my two cents.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

randr3, in your specific case, since it sounds like this hurdle is met, go for it! :)(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)