Cycling merit badge thoughts...

In the previous thread a member made a statement about Scouts having to plan the routes for cycling merit badge. I wanted to point out that only requirement 9 requires this.

"8. Avoiding main highways, take two rides of 10 miles each, two rides of 15 miles each, and two rides of 25 miles each. You must make a report of the rides taken. List dates, routes traveled, and interesting things seen.*

9. After fulfilling requirement 8, lay out on a road map a 50-mile trip. Stay away from main highways. Using your map, make this ride in eight hours."

The routes for requirement 8 doesn't have to be planned by an individual Scout they just need to report what routes were taken.

I think local cycling club rides work well for this activity because it opens the Scouts eyes to what kinds of options there are to not taking main roads. Cycling clubs are very good at finding routes parallel to major roads.

For requirement 9 I see nothing wrong with two Scouts working together to plan the road route as long as each has his own map. Also a resourceful Scout will ask an experienced rider to look over the map and ask for opinions.

I am surprised requirement 9 does not say "With your parent's and MBC's approval...". I think it is odd that taking a 50 mile bike trip does not require approval but watching a movie for Citizenship in the Community does.

In my opinion the Cycling Merit Badge is intended for road riding. Here in Ohio we have a lot of bike paths that stretch great distances so it easy to requirement 8 without every seeing a stop light of 4 way intersection.

Trying to stay clear of the "adding/changing requirements" scenario does anyone else see an inconsistancy here. What about what if a Scout were to take a road map in requirement 9 and draw the bike path on it to show where he rode?

Yes I am a cycling MBC and I so far I have only had two Scouts to work on the badge with me. One Scout did all roads with his dad and one did mostly hike/bike trails with his troop. Has anyone else worked with scenario two and what did you do?

In truth I counted the second Scout's work because when I road tested him for requirement 6 he was right on top of what to do and when to do it.

Considering the drivers in my part of the universe, I'd be ecstatic if I could have Scouts do their rides totally off MV roads. In most cases, we have no shoulders to speak of. In most cases, most drivers will not yield space to bicycle riders.

imo, for the MB Counselor, safety must be paramount. Make judgment calls based on your understanding of local auto operators and traffic patterns.

Ditto J-KC.

While it might be desirable in some areas to have road hikes, and one could read the MB handbook to imply that it ought to be road hikes, it doesn't state it outright. In fact, I would read the requirements slightly differently: "Avoid major highways" certainly includes using bike-only pathways if they're available, IMO! Safety is key; if it's unsafe to ride your bike on the roads in your area, then find off-road alternatives.

The boys on our troop do troop hikes for some of the MB requirements. I'm not a Cycling counselor, but if I were I would still encourage this. Most of the cycling they do is on dedicated bike paths, but the bike paths DO require street-crossings and some biking along back-roads as well.

As long as the Scout demonstrates an understanding of how to safely co-exist with cars, I don't see why that understanding has to be proven in the context of the 50-mile bike hike.

-Liz

I see cycling merit badge as an opportunity for Scouts to widen their world. By riding on the road they learn and practice the techniques that can be used to get from one place to another efficiently before they get their driver's license without relying on Mom and Dad.

By encouraging the Scouts to ride on bike paths and not letting them the difference between roads that are too dangerous, roads that should be avoided if possible and where and how to ride safely I feel they are missing out.

The bicycle is a great machine for going from place to place. Saying that all roads are too dangerous is akin to saying that we will buy cut and split wood for campouts because bow saws and axes are too dangerous. To use them safely is a matter of training. The same is true about riding a bicycle on the roads.

There are certainly places where it is inappropriate to ride. There may be places where cycling should not be done at all especially by youths. Moving out from those densely populated areas, usually within a short drive, there are places with far less traffic. Places where even though the roads are narrow the traffic density is so light bikes and cars can easily share the road.