Hello, I am a Senior Patrol Leader for a Troop in Illinois. I was questioning on the idea of Troop Discipline? Often times we have a couple of Scouts that get rowdy and need to be controlled somehow. Do any of you have any suggestions? Or comments? We still have a month until our Scout Year Starts again so until then I am going to try and find Discplinary Measures for our troop, and i figured i would come here and ask questions first.

Thank You for your time

SPL107(This message has been edited by SPL107)

One thing that we do with the cub scouts is have a candle at the meetings. The candle is lit at the beginning of the meeting. Who ever gets rowdy and doesnt' follow the rules, etc. has to blow the candle out. It doesn't get lit again until the next meeting. When the candle finally gets all the way down, the boys get either a pizza party or ice cream (it depends on what time of the year the candle is finished!) Since this is something the boys look forward to, it doesn't take long before the boys check themselves on their behavior. No one wants to be the one to blow out the candle! I don't know if this would work with the older guys. But it might!

Good luck

The Boy Scouts of America always have a solution somewhere in our program for these type problems.

First, you might try the "Buddy System". Team each of the problem Scouts with a good Scout during the Troop meeting. Team each of them to new buddies for each meeting until they learn the other Scouts better, giving them other friends in the Troop and learn to have fun "within" the program.

Or, you could try talking to them in a conference setting, along with one of the Adult Leaders in attendance. (His presents is to insure there are no complaints from these Scouts about "what happened" at the meeting. (Child Protection Program) During this meeting, use the Leader's BEST TOOL for handling problem Scouts - as taught in Junior Leadership Training (JLT). That is: use the method of asking questions in order to have the problem Scouts arrive at solutions to the problems they are causing. When you do nothing but ask questions and make no statement concerning exactly what they SHOULD DO, you are putting the power to arrive at a solution in their laps. And when they arrive at a solution, they can be reminded later, if there is not improvement, that it was "their idea" and why it is not working.

• 2 weeks later...

Something I picked up, was just to kinda embarass the kid a little bit, not humiliate him, but make him look stupid in front of the other guys. If they interrupt a meeting or something, after everyone has had their laugh, just be like "well that was inappropriate for the moment, you dont?" you have to keep a straight face, but eventually they'll get the message. Also when we had a problem with the little kids not showering, all it took was for one of the older guys to say "That is so Cubscout, why dont you guys shower" It was slightly embarassing, but nobodys feelings were hurt and the message got across apparently, because they didnt reek anymore. So try that out.

In our troop if we have a problem with scouts during the day we take them on a midnight hike. Except an adult leader will drive behind them in the heated car while they walk outside. This seems to help alot becaus e, the scouts are now extremely mad. You can now settle them down really fast.

It sounds like a good time for the ScoutMaster to invite the Parents of the scouts you have difficulty with to a few meetings. I wholly understand how frustrated you get. I can see it in my Troop at times too. I would call Parents and advise them of their childs behavior and ask that they attend a few meetings in an attempt to curb the problem. I have on more then one occassion sent that kid home early as a result of them being disruptive. SPL's have a difficult job to do. I know they don't realize what they are getting into when they are voted into the office. But through determination and good leadership, the Troop will follow you. Remember, in life there are always a few that will wonder off the trail. Put your ASPL to work assisting you with the task. Keep the down time at meetings to a minimum. If dogs are left alone too long without toys, they are going to dig holes.

• 2 weeks later...

what we do in my sons troop is we have a leather bead fob that hangs off the scouts belt. it has 4 leather "laces" with a bead at the end of each lace. when the scout is not being a good scout, the scoutmater removes a bead. the scout then gets a talking to. on the removal of the 2ndbead the scout,scoutmsterand members of comm. have a talk. the 3rd bead the scout, sm & comm. member and parents then meet. and they are all told that if the last bead comes off the scout is then asked to leave the troop. we do this every year. every year all scouts start off with 4 beads. even if they have 1 -3 missing at the end of the year we start off fresh at the beginning. boys will be boys but not brats! this system really works.