I would treat this the same way we would an Eagle BOR. That is as long as his MBs, 3 month tenure, and SM conference were completed before his 18th B'day, I see no reason the BOR could not be held after that date.

To be safe, however, I would ask of your District Advancement Chair, as expectations may vary from here to there.

At home, later in the day.

Page 29 of ACP&P governs. Based on the l/h column of the page, if all is done (and that includes the palm SM conference), prior to the 18th birthday, some latitude is allowed in the BOR.

I would check with your local Council Registrar and District/Council Advancement Chair. What's actually done by your Council may not look identical to what's in the BSA publication.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Speaking for myself, I'd be asking why a young man is so hard over for recognition at 18 to get one more palm on his Eagle. At that point, other forms of recognition should be kicking in... be they lettering, admission to college, scholarships, student council... and the ordinary respect of a young adult's peers.

Just as for the Eagle itself, I believe that if all other requirements are met prior to the 18th birthday, the Board of Review can be held after the 18th birthday.

Jet, I fear that your Scout is out of luck. The 3 month tenure requirement needs to be totally completed prior to the 18th birthday.

I concur with Gold Winger.

I had been the first Eagle Scout in my Troop lo those many years ago. I had been at college but came back over the summer and completed 3 merit badges so I could get my Silver Palm. (Back then, tenure for each palm was 6 months, so to get your Silver Palm, you had to have gotten your Eagle earlier than 16.5)

Why did I do it? Because it was there and I wanted to say that I had.

I would also respectfully ask what other recognition is there which routinely is available for a Scout who was close to 18. I was a brotherhood member of the OA, had my religious award and had been on JLT staff. I had applied for camp staff and was not selected. What other recognitions could I have tried for?

I had a 5 day leeway after my Eagle BOR (8/8 and 18th b-day was 11/13), so I could have earned a Bronze Palm. Unfortunately, I went off to college about a two weeks after my Eagle BOR.

GW is right about "because it is there". I know it seems silly, but so many years later it still feels like unfinished business, even if it is primarily a merit badge/tenure award (and I had earned plenty of additional merit badges already).

Heck, I regret not finishing Eagle a year or two earlier, but it was my own fault.

"What other recognitions could I have tried for?"

I think that John was trying to say that by 18, a Scout should be looking for stuff outside of Scouting. His examples were Varsity Letter (school, not Scouting), student government, etc.. I wonder why? We're always bemonaning that boys don't stay with Scouting but here's one who did.

We just did a palm BOR last week for a young man who turned 18 a month or so ago. He had completed all requirements prior to his birthday and he came back from college over a long weekend to hold the BOR. Actually it was kind of a nice occasion, had an opportunity to talk with him as a grown up rather than as a youth member and to help him round out a few ideas for how he can make the transition from scout to scouter in the next couple of years.