Where can i buy Boy Scout Merit Badges?!?!?!?! PLZ HELP!!!!!

Acco,

Last I heard, ANY advancement, fromCS ranks and Webelos activity badges, to Scout rank and MB, to Sea scout and Venturing awards, that is placed on an advancement report is considered restricted, and documentation needed to accompany the order, ie advancement report, card, etc.

Okay, I'm shooting from the hip (not an advancement chair) but my understanding is:

The advancement form for is simply to record advancement! It is not for the purchasing of rank badges. The BSA uses the advancement form to update their records. The general public may enter a Scout shop and purchase rank patches. Some shops are more restrictive on the Eagle badge but I've bought them without an advancement report. The small cardboard rank and merit badge cards should not serve as proof of anything. They are a memento for the holder and an item that can be purchased by the general public as well.

Now, sometimes the lines get blurred. As a unit, our troop has tripped the unit FOS threshold so that we get "free" rank advancement patches. This does not mean that I can simply walk into the scout shop and scoop up a bunch of patches for free. What it means is that when we turn in an advancement report (our unit advancement chair still prefers paper and not the on-line system :( ) we receive the patches too.

Now a trick question - may the general public go into a scout shop and purchase a BSA uniform without showing proof of membership? What about a pair of scout socks?

Now a trick question - may the general public go into a scout shop and purchase a BSA uniform without showing proof of membership? What about a pair of scout socks?

As far as I know, yes they can. In all the years I went into my Scout shop to buy stuff, not once did I see anyone ever ask for any type of ID.

got2surf, congratulations! I believe you've received your answer (in spades, as normal for this board) - you don't have to bother anybody, just take your cards to your scout shop and buy replacement MBs.

I have been the Advancement Chair - as such, I have gone to my scout shop and purchased the MBs to match the advancement report I was turning in. Quite a labor of love for the fall COH with an active troop at summer camp!

I am mother to two scout sons - as such, I have gone to my scout shop and purchased two replacement merit badges. The first time, I did not have the card with me but knew the woman behind the counter really well and she sold it to me (mentioning that I should have brought the card). The second time, I had the card but didn't present it immediately and was asked for it.

At one time, there was a sign that said you couldn't buy MBs w/out either the card showing it was earned or the advancement report showing the recording of the MB as earned. They've redesigned recently and I don't know if the sign is still there.

That's my council, YMMV,

Vicki

The Scout Shop here requires proof to purchase rank patches (Cub Scout through Eagle) and merit badge patches. They will sell an adult the AOL knot without proof, but they require proof for your Eagle knot. For the Eagle Knot you MUST have your Certificate or Card from NESA (I brought in my original case with badge and patch and they rejected it and told me that I had to get proof from National. It took a couple of calls to my old District and a few weeks waiting to get my documentation).