Life Scout Question

Hello, I did a search prior to this post and could not find an answer to my question, however I did read some very interesting topics that were helpful. My question is...can a Life Scout begin working on his Eagle Scout project prior to getting all of his required badges? Thanks!

Yes, if you look at the requirements for Iggle it says, "While a Life Scout, plan, develop and give leadership . . ." Nothing there about having merit badges done before starting the project.

I've known more than a few Eagle candidates who did their projects and then finished their merit badges.

However, the scout leader told us that all of the merit badges needed to be completed before he could even submit paperwork to the troop for approval.

He's wrong. Ask him to show you where that is written in an official BSA publication. And the Scout is the one who submits the paperwork, not an adult leader.

More likely he's just confused, eh?

Two steps, actipis.

First is fillin' out the first part of your Eagle project workbook, and gettin' that approved by the agency you're workin' with, your unit committee, and your district/council. Then yeh can work on your project.

Second step, when you're done with everything, there's an Eagle Scout Application. That's the one that can't be turned in until yeh get all your Merit Badges done, because the council registrar needs to verify the merit badges and dates on that form.

Beavah

Just to add to the information, there is nothing saying that the Eagle Scout Scoutmaster conference has to be after all other requirements are completed nor even that the Scout has to "pass" the conference, just take part in one.

Whatever order the Scout wishes including doing them in parallel.

In most districts Life to Eagle is more under the purview of the district advancement chair than unit scout leaders. I would recommend staying in close contact with him/her during this process. In larger districts you may be assigned to an Eagle coach or Adviser. There are generally training classes put on by the counsel. the paperwork can be daunting and one must be meticulous about proper preparation. They keep changing the stuff they want as well so last years info may be no longer current.