Over in a new uniform thread, there was just a mention of the new MB books...I haven't seen any other recent discussion on the topic (but then again, I can't keep up with everything on this forum)...

Anyway, I saw a pile of new MB books at the local scout shop, and they had stacks of old ones too (blowing them out at $2.50 each, as I recall). I spot-checked a half dozen books, comparing new and old side by side. The content appears to be exactly the same, it's just that the new ones, inside and out, have color printing. For example, the photographs from the old MB book are still used in the new books, but in color. The new ones do look good, and look very appealing. But if all you're interested in is the content, the old ones are perfectly fine.

There are a few more than a dozen merit badges whose contents and or requirements have changed this year with the printing of the new books. If you look at the listing at the back of a new MB book, anything with a 2008 revision date has new changes. Some changes are very minor some are major.

From the information I received from the National Supply center they are putting out all the merit badge books with color on the front and back covers. The contents of all the books are the same.

As BW said, new revisions or changes are dated 2008.

Apache Bob - it's more than just the front and back covers. It is an all-color printing. All the photographs inside are printed in color too (text printing remains all-black :)). They're available now -- at least in my local scout shop. I would assume others have them as well.

And thanks, BW...the ones I spot-checked didn't include any revised in 2008. In fact, one I checked was "Computers" which I was hoping had been updated (but isn't).

I don't really have a problem with the revision...granted, switching to a color printing (and refreshed cover graphics) does change the image that the books had been printed sometime this century versus sometime last century :).

I would guess that troops that have a library of MB pamphlets aren't going to rush out to update their libraries (especially when requirements are identical). But over time I'm sure they will be refreshed book-by-book.

The $4.50 cost (versus the old price of $3.49, right?) isn't so hot, but I understand that national is trying to work whatever revenue sources they have, and if revised printed materials are one way, then there's not much we can do about it. Besides complain :).

In fact, I didn't start this thread to complain. I just started it to say that I saw some new ones and compared a few of them to old ones, and the content is identical in those cases. There is no need to rush out and get non-revised (in '08) pamphlets, unless you're swayed by the idea that these new ones were printed this century.

If it weren't for old books we'd have hardly any books at all. My librarian son is actually in charge of the books but I see his inventory. National should get with the program and supply a CD of pdf's of MB books with the yearly requirement books that way they would get their pound of flesh without any printing costs. As it is we print up "free" worksheets and use old books.

I was working with a couple Scouts on a merit badge a couple weeks ago & I asked them about the new MB books. They said they were nice, but for the extra $1, they would pass & buy the black & white one. Same info! A Scout is Thrifty!

(edit - typo)(This message has been edited by evmori)

Gee Bob White said, "Cost-wise it is not that much more costly to do color instead of black and white due to digital printing as opposed to four-color offset which used to be the only way to get a full color image."

I guess either BSA didn't get the word or their just ripping us off.

I'm still baffled by the "digital printing" comment. I know guys who work in print shops, they still use offset or lithographic printers for most jobs. If "digital" means laser, that seems to be reservered for small runs. Maybe BeeDub would explain what he means and where the savings went.

Well, we did a cost comparison in our office recently between our newer HP b&w laser printer and our newer HP Color printer--both about a year old.

Black & White Laser print job: 1.9 cents per sheet

Full color laser print job: ~23 cents per sheet

This includes the cost of a piece of copier paper, the toner and electricity costs.

Our cost for the toner for the B&W is $79 per cartridge. Each of the color cartridges for the color printer is $250 on sale and normally $300. The black cartridge for it is $240.

So, color is still more expensive. Maybe they've got cheaper/better machines in some shops, but not at our office.

As for why BSA is changing to color MB Pamphlets and raising the price...simple, they've changed their acronym to B$A. :)

• 1 month later...

Hello

As a part of my Wood Badge ticket I am putting on a "Medical Merit Badge Midway" for my district. I have the potential instructors for it but I would like to know if anyone has out there has any power point presentations (or other another type) for Medicine, Dentistry, Public Health or Veterinary Medicine? If you do it would be greatly appreciated. YIS CPT John Green