MIssing Project Workbook

There is a scout in the troop. He did his Eagle project last year. He finally finished all of his merit badges this summer and was in the process of getting ready for his scoutmaster conference. But he cannot find his workbook with the signatures. He has everything in electronic form, but has not been able to find the hard copy--the search continues. What should he do if it cannot be found? He could get signatures from the organization and the troop as we all recall what was done. I'm not sure about the District Eagle Advisor, it would seem unlikely that he would recall the project. I'm guessing this isn't a unique event. I had another scout in a panic last month in a similar situation (but he found the workbook), so, even if this workbook is found, I foresee this happening again and I might as well find out what to do. Fortunately this scout is just over 15 so there is not the turning 18 axe hanging there.

Part of this is a learning experience for the Scout. This is an important pile of paper so one needs to take care of it. Just like when you drive a car you need to carry your drivers license and insurnance car. Or you need to know where the deed to your home is. Or when your boss asks for a report, you have to be able to produce it.

In my tiny mind, this isn't your problem but theirs and they need to be the ones worrying about replacing the book.

The upside of all this is he has the electronic copy! Sounds like he will have to get everything signed-off again if he can't find it! And like GW posted, this is his problem, not yours.

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

I don't know how many of you have ever known a PhD canidate who only has to finish the thesis. Lisabob has known a few I am sure and perhaps Packsaddle. Everyone knows that when completing your thesis, back up copies placed in multiple places is best practice. Every once in awhile you hear of a canidate who loses 2 years worth of work or so because they didnt back up the date.

Some are afforded the opportunity to learn this lesson earlier. The signatures shouldnt be that hard to recreate, if the Sponsoring Organization signs off that the project was done, I would think that the Disitrct rep would be satisfied, not happy mind you

Our DAC keeps a record of kids and projects approved, for this very circumstance. He understands they're teens, and often have what Rush describes as "minds full of mush."

In other words, life happens.

If time is getting critical, don't let the young man hang out, have him reproduce what's in the electronic version and get the signatures.

It is a good lesson for his Eagle SM conference though :)

I would start by contacting the District Advancement Chair. Let them know the situation and that the scout is searching for the original. Ask if he would sign the back up copy just in case the original is not found.

Then get his or her signature as soon as possible.

It;s unfortunate the original is lost but congratulations to the young man for completeing his Eagle requirements to this point.

Thank you everyone. I'm sure it will be found once he finishes cleaning his room (A Scout is Clean is another talking point for his conference). He has found the folder he was keeping the workbook in, but it was empty. But he is concerned that he will have to start over and do another project. I wouldn't think that was the case, but you never know. I told him to relax, finish with his room and that we would go from there.

I would start by contacting the District Advancement Chair. Let them know the situation and that the scout is searching for the original. Ask if he would sign the back up copy just in case the original is not found.

The contacting should be done by the Scout unless the Scout has asked the SM to do the contacting. And even then, the SM should coach the Scout on how to handle the call instead of making the call himself. This is an excellent learning situation for the Scout.

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

" He understands they're teens, and often have what Rush describes as "minds full of mush.""

They only have minds full of mush because we accept it.

Not that long ago in human history, teen aged young men got married, started families, ran farms, worked in mines, and went off to war. Over the past century, mostly in the last 30 years, it has become expected that teens are have minds full of mush and we tolerate it.

We let them pilot 2,000 lbs of rolling death on the highways but we think that they are too irresponsible to keep track of papers. We let them go off on spring break vacations in foreign countries but they are not aware enough to be able to fill out a college application without parental intervention, if not the parent doing it for them.

Sex? Drinking? Drugs? Oh, they are old enough to make their own choices. Schoolwork? Paperwork? Hey! They're just kids, don't expect too much.

Make a choice, it's one way or the other.

I agree. Frankly, the kid doesn't sound good. I can't even fathom losing my workbook back in the day. There are some things you just keep care of, and don't just leave in the mess of your room. Even when you're a teen.

His problem. And I agree, he'll find the original just as soon as he re-does all the paperwork, or else the day after his ECOH.

There's no need to berate the boy nor to offer condemnation of youth in general. They're already aware of how goofy they are about many things.

OGE, indeed for each thesis and dissertation I've been involved with, I've collected up to a dozen or so drafts and their electronic counterparts. I almost welcome a crashed hard drive (not really).

I had a boy's father apparently throw his entire book away. The boy had just completed the entire book, finished getting his signatures and he and his mom just put the finishing touches on the "after" photos for the project. The notebook was on the living room coffee table for all to view. The father was never one to get involved with his son and Scouting, he was always too involved in himself. He found it laying about and threw it in the trash. He told his son what he'd done after the trash collector came and hauled it away later that week. When I asked his mom about it, she just shrugged and said "that's my husband" and grinned.

Why I oghta...

We helped the boy get it together again so he could sit for his BoR scheduled for the next week. The father attended the CoH but had many pressing phone calls to make during the ceremony.