Another last minute Eagle

I don't know if there is one. We are asked to submit the application 10 days prior to the EBOR. The EBOR should be completed within 3 months of the birthday. I don't recall a deadline beyond that at the Eagle Packet training we had at roundtable in May. I'll ask at the next one. In theory, the scout who had his birthday on Monday (he turned it in last Thursday) would need to have his EBOR by October 28th. The district holds the reviews on the first Thursday of the month which would be October 2nd so he would need to get his paperwork in by September 22nd. I can't imagine circumstances that would nessecitate such a delay, and would not consider 2 months as being prompt.

Of course all of this just makes me want to make the program such that the scouts finish their Eagle by 16 which is when the big drop off seems to occur in our troop. Half the scouts get their Eagle between 14 and 16.5 with the other half getting it at 18 with almost nothing in between.

Hello OGE,

I am quite confident that if an Eagle candidate were to complete all his requirements prior to his 18th birthday and "promptly" submit his application to the council office and have it rejected, upon appeal to the National Council, the appeal would be upheld and the council directed to hold a Board of Review.

Also, as others have said, there is no requirement that the SM Conference be held after all other requirements are done. Also, there is no requirement that the Scout "pass" the SM Conference, only that he participate in one while a Life Scout. He may have already done that. There is no requirement that it be in person (It could, for example, be by phone if necessary.) But it does need to be completed by the 18th birthday.

Thanks for your input. We have never had a Scout cut it so close before.

I learned this afternoon that our Council's policy is that a SC can be done anytime after the Scout's Life BOR but before his 18th birthday. So he can have his SC this week, before the Scoutmaster leaves, and before he finishes his badges.

Evidently, our Council only requires that all physcial work (badges and project,POR etc.) be done before the 18th BD.

Signatures and even the final write-up for the ESLP can be done after the Scout's 18th BD. I'm not quite sure how I feel about that, but that is what the "powers that be" have decided.

Hello Packrats,

You should feel good about it. It means that your council is reading the BSA advancement guidelines and following them. When that happens, it often means that they know what they're doing and your Scout will have a good experience.

I ageee that most boys find the write-up to be as difficult as anything else.

My own son made Eagle at 15 1/2 and he also took a long breathe between the physical project work and the final write-up.

Our troop has another Scout who finished his project 7 months ago and STILL hasn't written it up.

I can only see how this must be delegated to an ASM in the absence of the SM. Forget that the scout had almost 7 years to git-r-done, but look at a "mega troop" of 100 scouts. If each scout were to advance only one rank per year, the SM would do nothing but conduct SMC's, so yes, an ASM can do this one, if the SM delegates it.

It is afterall the Scoutmaster Conference, not the "Scoutmaster or Committee Chairman's Conference."